Windows 10

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Windows 10

Postby Kickaha » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:23 pm

I have Windows 8 on a Parallels VM on my Mac - will probably upgrade it but not in a rush to do so.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:57 pm

No need to rush at all. You have a year to upgrade to Windows 10. Once I get a little free time in front of me, I'm going to start testing games. RebKean at Gameboomers has been having good luck so far.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm not seeing a lot of difference between 8.1 and 10, except for the absence of the start screen and the invisible icons on the right hand side. Otherwise it's just as intuitive as 8. It's interesting to see what games will work without tweaking. So far the main problem is that some of the old ones won't work with 64 bit. Also an early Carol Reed from Bigfish has no sound, but that goes back to 8. One annoyance is that Cortana does not work in Canada, so the box is there but no assistant.
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:09 pm

I was SOOOO glad to have the horrid "charms" gone for the right side. It was so annoying to have it constantly popping up.

Have you been through some of the "getting started" stuff? Some of it is interesting. And the new Edge browser - not sure what I think of it yet. It's definitely fast... I'm still using my Firefox.

Although I'm not using Cortana with voice, it is sort of a nifty app and I'm liking it quite a bit. Will it be available up there any time soon?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:13 am

I had issues with sound in the first few Carol Reed games on my Windows 7 box - I emailed Mykael Nyqvist and he gave me updated versions that worked just fine.
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:37 pm

Hesitant about this upgrade for various reasons, i.e. printers and scanners are getting on in years, still use a first gen iPod so need to be able to use iTunes no newer than 9.1, etc. Other things too, mostly regarding Microsoft in general of which I won't elaborate as they're more or less related to my opinions of the institute. Anyhow I haven't read all, or for that matter, very many articles on the pros and cons but today I did come across this one which made the decision (at least for the immediate future) to at least give it a look see.
30 Day Rollback Feature
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Return to “Technical Help”