Warning on Windows 10 Email

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Warning on Windows 10 Email

Postby Diat60 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 pm

If you haven't been upgraded yet by Microsoft to Windows 10, this article may be of interest: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955121/ ... mails.html. In a word, Microsoft doesn't send emails!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Warning on Windows 10 Email

Postby draclvr » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Thank you for posting this, Diat. I hadn't run across the issue yet in my tech forums, but can't say I'm surprised to hear it!

I finally DID get tired of waiting and getting several Windows 10 update failed messages and downloaded it manually. I must say I am extremely pleased so far.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks for posting that. hubby got a new laptop yesterday and I upgraded to windows 10 right away. I will have to look and see if there is anything. so far he is very unhappy with windows 10. there are so many apps that he doesn't need and he is getting very frustrated. I think I will look at the task manager today and see what we can get off there. or should I go to config.sys?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:44 am

NO! Windows 10 runs very much like Windows 7 as far as how it looks and works.

I couldn't be easier to get rid of the apps you don't want. Simply go to Start, right click the app and select Unpin from Start. To uninstall something, use Cortana to search for Control Panel. Use Uninstall a Program there. I have right clicked Control Panel and selected Pin to Start so I have it handy. You can also pin and unpin apps to the taskbar.

To download or look at new apps such as games, news, etc., just click on the "Store" icon in the taskbar. There are hundreds of thousands of apps in there with many of them free.

Task Manager has changed since Windows 8. It is now actually useful. The Startup tab will show you what is in there and you can disable anything that is not necessary to have in Startup and running in the background.

For most new OEM laptops, they are so loaded with crapware, it is ridiculous. Depending on the brand, you can recover as much as 20 - 50 GB of space by getting rid of crapware such as the trials of McAfee, games, Office etc.

Windows 8 and 10 came with the halfway decent Windows Defender anti-virus program. I wouldn't use it alone, but coupled with Malwarebytes Pro, I've never had a problem. But if you have a subscription to another anti-virus program, just transfer it to the new laptop.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:56 am

draclvr wrote:NO! Windows 10 runs very much like Windows 7 as far as how it looks and works.

I don't suppose they restored the NT4 and 2000 compatibility modes that were part of Windows 7 but were removed from Windows 8 -- and that allowed Still Life and Post Mortem to run on Windows 7.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 pm

I rather doubt it... they are moving completely away from the old legacy operating systems. I haven't gotten into testing games yet, but a couple of people at Gameboomers are having good luck so far. There were still a lot of problems with Still Life and Post Mortem on Windows 7 for several people there too, even in compatibility modes.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:03 pm

I am curious why GOG now lists Still Life as working on " Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 10)."
Note that they skip listing 8 and 8.1
Did they fix something?

Post Mortem is still listed as only working on "Windows (XP, Vista, 7)" though I suppose that could be because of Post Mortem's low resolution.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:11 pm

I know they tweaked it to work on the older systems, but for some reason, did not do it for Windows 8. We are recommending that those who can't play it on Windows 7 either, they should download it from GOG.

Return to “Technical Help”