Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Programs

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Prog

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:06 pm

Another one that I used to use a long time ago was AVG - it bolluxed up my system so badly, I dumped it and went to Avast. Norton has gotten somewhat better, but it's still a resource hog. McAfee is still awful... It's the first thing I get rid of on new laptops I set up for people. If I didn't use the free Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes Pro, I'd get Webroot. Windows Defender consistently ranks pretty low, but it's getting slightly better all the time. I'm a firm believe in the USER being the first and best defense against malware!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:37 am

I was wondering in the night whether just a simple reboot after the reinstallation of Office might have brought my icons back? I cant remember now, lol!

Am I right in thinking that I dont need another stand alone AV programme with Windows 10?

And on the subject of FFV, as I was desperate to make contact with a Dentist whose mobile number I knew was on a backup list for my Nokia phone, this is the reason why I downloaded this rogue software. How else was I going to open this NBF file (Nokia Backup File)?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:30 am

I found that you need to have the Nokia PC Suite. See if anything in this link for Windows 8.1 helps. I found a few places that told you how to convert the .nbf files too. Most said to rename the file to a .zip extension and then use something like the free 7-zip to open it. The individual in the link also found that by removing the micro SD card and inserting into a card reader, he was able to view the files.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-app ... 8-1-a.html

Whether you want to use the free Windows Defender that comes with Windows 10 is up to you. It usually ranks at the bottom of the pack with other anti-virus programs, but it is starting to get better. Leo Notenboom of the Ask Leo blogs recommends it. I would definitely recommend using Malwarebytes Pro along side it though. I've been VERY happy with the combination.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Yes I do have Nokia Suite installed on my PC, but I still could not read my backup file.

As you know, I do have MalwareBytes Pro running - so all good then.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:35 pm

The link also says to rename the file to .zip and then use something like 7-zip to open it. Several other things I found also said to rename to .zip.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:50 pm

I am going to try doing that - although I have not installed Free 7 zip for years.

By the way, is this Microsoft Edge any safer than the old Internet Explorer. Sometimes a link opens this browser and it worries me.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:09 pm

It is probably the safest browser out there right now. Recently, one of my 80 year-old computer guys got infected with the dreaded Ask.com toolbar. It can be really hard to get rid of and his IE and Firefox kept redirecting me. So I opened up the Edge browser which was NOT infected and used Edge to get rid of it. One of the reasons is that there are NO add-ons allowed on it yet and that was why it wasn't infected with Ask.com.

However, I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with it and I can't use it because I rely very heavily on Roboform, my password manager and I can't use it on Edge because of no add-ons. Supposedly that is going to be fixed in one of these next updates. I might try to use it if I can use Roboform. But I still find myself going back to good old comfortable Firefox!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:39 pm

I know, I have been with Firefox since its birth, I think.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:06 pm

I think I've use it since my first computer in 1999! I even believe it was my very first download - on my old dial-up internet connection!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:48 am

Oh my goodness - dont mention dial up. When I moved from Jersey (where I had high speed internet) to Kenya who only had dial up, it was a major culture shock. I never even knew that 28 kb even existed before then.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 am

Hah! Beat you! I only had 19 Kb because of the old lines out here in the country! It was very painful.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Painful, but better than nothing, as I remember.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Me too... I thought I was in heaven!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:43 pm

I seem to get no luck - I am not getting any response from the person I bought the Office licence off of - if he does not reply in 5 days, I guess I wont be able to use it any longer, seeing as the activation code does not work the second time around! :cry:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Hmmm... the person you purchased it from may not be any help anyway. You normally have several opportunities to activate. I know I've reactivated mine several times as I've moved it from one computer to another. Since this was a download, I assume the seller also provided you with the product key??? Is that what you mean by the activation code?

You can ask your question in the Microsoft forums here... maybe someone there can help you.

Office 2010 forums

I hope this wasn't a pirated copy of Office 2010. If it is, then that could be why it isn't working. It would have cost you at least $150 - $200 if it was a legit copy.

Return to “Technical Help”