Kindle Purchase

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Kindle Purchase

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:20 am

I went to the local Charity Shop yesterday - I think you call them thrift shops? - and there was a very old Kindle for sale for £5 in perfect working order together with charger, headphones and leather case, so I took a chance and bought it, as a backup for my Google tablet.

Wow, I could not believe how lightweight it is, compared to reading a book on the tablet.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Kindle Purchase

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:21 am

The Kindle readers are wonderful - the screens are made just for reading. Since they don't do anything except display the book, they are very light.

I still prefer to "turn the pages." But I have become totally addicted to immediate gratification when I want to read a book!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:55 am

Funnily enough, I still prefer to turn the pages too, but the size of the paperback has increased in recent years, and I sometimes find a large paperback hard to hold, especially when it is a very thick book.

Of course, as you are all beginning to find out, nothing is ever straightforward with me. In order to download some Kindle books, I have to register it with Amazon, and Amazon is not recognising my password which I know darn well is correct! :roll:
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:31 pm

Just do the "forgot my password" thing and you can reset it to the one you know.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 am

Been there, tried that, got the t-shirt - It still didnt work :roll:

If I have time, I will try again today.
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:17 am

It's probably them then. I've had this happen and it will miraculously straighten itself out!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:16 am

Here is what I would guess - that particular Kindle is registered to someone else's account. Can you go into the setting and see if there is anything there that might work? You might need to contact Amazon and ask them for help.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:22 am

Amazon is not recognizing Rosa's password to enter their site. Sounds like a glitch to me.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:47 am

Yes, but if she is able to log into Amazon on her dekstop, then there is something stopping her from logging in on the Kindle. There are some safeguards on the Kindles to make sure someone else doesn't log in on a device.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Sounds like you could be right, Drac, cos I can log in to Amazon on my PC but I cant find any trace of the previous owner on the Kindle!
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:21 pm

Sorry, my mistake, I thought she was having problems logging in to Amazon. Read it wrong.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Does this help? Can I transfer Kindle from one account to another?

If you want to transfer (sell, gift, loan, etc) your Kindle to someone else or somebody else has given you their’s, you can deregister the device from original owner’s account and register it with yours. You can deregister Kindle by either clicking on deregister link on “Manage Your Kindle” webpage on Amazon or from the device itself: from the home screen, press “Menu”, select “Settings”, then select “Deregister” with 5-way controller and confirm. If you are not the current registered owner of the device you can only unregister Kindle via the device itself.

Then you can register the Kindle either by entering the serial number via “Manage Your Kindle” page or by entering your Amazon account credentials after selecting “register” link in the settings screen of the device.

Read more: http://blogkindle.com/kindle-faq/#ixzz3zbP53Kng
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Oh thank you, Diat, you are a star.

I havent even picked up the Kindle today to sort it out as I have been on a marathon batch-cooking session. I cook all my meals for the whole month in one weekend, and then freeze them. Otherwise I would never eat a decent meal, as I just cant be bothered to cook every day just for me.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Good catch, Diat! Hopefully this will be exactly what Rosaboobie needs.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:29 am

Oops, I remember now, I have done this already and it said the Kindle was not registered to anyone.

Anyhow I tried putting in my user name and password once again, once again the details were rejected but when I got back to my PC, this time there was an email waiting for me from Amazon with a one-time password that I had to enter within 10 minutes - so all good now. I am now downloading some of my books and will try out the Kindle in bed tonight - Watch this space :wink:
Boobie

Return to “Book Discussions”