Windows 10 - DVD wont play!

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Windows 10 - DVD wont play!

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:52 am

I tried to play my Sanday DVD yesterday but it would not play. Am I missing some software maybe?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Windows 10 - DVD wont play!

Postby Diat60 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:45 am

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:12 am

According to that link, Diat, Windows DVD Player should have automatically downloaded to my PC, if I am reading it correctly.

"Please note that Windows Media Center isn't included in Windows 10 and will be removed when you upgrade to Windows 10. After the upgrade completes, Windows DVD Player will download automatically to your PC"
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:57 am

That's the way I would read it, Rosy. From what I'm gathering, even the paid application from Microsoft has flaws and has not worked properly. Folks that had a perfectly functional DVD player on their computers can't get them to work. Apparently with some it's a driver issue. Perhaps Drac has some suggestions or you can check out this link where someone had the same issue:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps/free-windows-10-dvd-player/36fe952b-5898-401d-b25f-c3c2b8262e27?auth=1
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:27 am

No flaws and no driver issues. Since the release of Windows 8, the DVD codecs have not been included with the OS. Many reasons with the main one being that very few people play DVDs on a computer any more with the advent of streaming services. But very simple to solve and used by most of us who still play DVDs on our computers.

Simply download and install the free VLC DVD player. I've use it for years and installed it on several computers.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Thank you for that link, Drac - it worked perfectly.

Its now asking for a donation - I never know if its the right thing to donate or not!
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Always up to you - I believe this is a French company? Can't remember for sure. Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't. When I do, I do something like $5.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:57 pm

I am with Draclvr re: Donations, sometimes I do and other times not and pretty
much the same amount as Drac. I also usually wait at least 3 months before I
donate to make sure 1) I like the product and still using it 2) That the product is
still working properly 3) How good are they at keeping up with updates and security
issues.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:06 pm

That was exactly my thoughts too, Ray, wait and see if it continues to work for me.
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:22 pm

I knew Drac would come to the rescue! :cheers: I think it's a shame that Microsoft pushed Windows 10 on its customers without telling them about some of the items that would not be included or not specifying when one had to download the DVD player. I'm sticking with my Windows 7 on my ASUS and will upgrade to the next best operating system when I get a new laptop/pc. No sense "fixing" something that ain't broke!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:51 pm

JK, these codecs have not been included since 2012, so this is nothing new and certainly nothing new with Windows 10.

Your Windows 7 will continue to receive limited support for 4 more years, so you should be good to go until that next new computer! However, it WILL be whatever iteration of Windows 10 is out there at that time unless you go to the Mac.

I dearly love Windows 10 and it is definitely the best OS they have released. It has plenty of quirks and foibles, but with each new update I'm finding more and more of my favorite options being returned. It is very fast and stable and runs circles around Windows 7. I have two people who upgraded from Windows 7 and they love the new features and apps and especially the speed on even their low end computers.

My big complaint about it is gaming that involves several types of DRM. No one loathes DRM more than I do, but there are a few games I CHOSE to get in spite of the DRM. I can no longer play those games because Windows 10 blocks the DRM as a security feature. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to go in and do a registry hack or not. I could always play them on my Windows 7 drive, but I very, very seldom ever boot up into it any more.
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:10 pm

I have Windows 10 now on my Local Disk (C:) and Windows 7 on Local Disk (F:) and I too rarely use 7 anymore. However on those occasions when I need to use 7 for some older game or such I get no response from my mouse devices (1 corded and 1 wireless) and the only thing I can do is hit the reset button to get back to boot device manager and go through the process again. In which case, the second time around everything is fine. It's just a trivial thing I suppose, probably doesn't even deserve its own thread, but if there's a simple solution I'd be a happier person.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:19 pm

I have a similar setup with the two operating systems on different local disks in the same case. I had the same thing happen to me last week when I booted into my Windows 7. Normally, my mouse is recognized immediately (wired), but it wasn't that time for some reason. I simply unplugged it and plugged it back in to the back of my case and it popped right up. Booted into Windows 7 the next day to see if it would happen again and it didn't that time. Who knows!
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Hmm. I should have thought of that, alas though, it didn't work for me. Perhaps I should install the new AMD catalyst suite instead of being reminded every time, check for updates. We'll see. It wasn't always like this, 3-4 weeks ago it was fine. :scratch:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:50 pm

You might check in your Devices to be sure there aren't any yellow driver flags there too. Your BIOS is where the settings are for recognizing USB devices, but it's strange it should work only on the second boot-up. Something sounds like it's not "catching" your mice. How about other peripherals? Or is it just the mice? Can you try another USB port? I've had them go hinky on me on other computers.

Just shooting in the dark!! Can't hurt to update those Catalyst drivers though. I need to do my Nvidia drivers too... been ignoring the nag!

Return to “Technical Help”