Sick Monitor

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Sick Monitor

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:07 am

I shut down the PC last night before I went to bed, but when I got up this morning, it in fact had not turned off - It merely said "shutting down" still, and had obviously been like that all night. I could not shut it down, so I had to press the button. However when I tried to reboot, the monitor was not working - just a black screen. I fiddled with the on-screen buttons just in case i had accidentally knocked something but nothing worked.

So, in order to make room for the laptop on my desk, I lifted the monitor up and placed it on top of my printer, and it came on momentarily. Ah, I thought, maybe a loose cable? But after having checked the cables, it still wont turn on. :?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Sick Monitor

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:16 am

Oh, dear... if it said "shutting down" when you got up this morning, that sounds more like the PC itself never shut off. If the monitor came on for a moment, it does sound electrical. First thing I would do is unplug the power cord from the back of the monitor and then plug it back in. You might also try unplugging from the wall outlet and reconnecting there too.

So, the BIG question for me anyway, is when you tried to reboot, did the COMPUTER go through all it's beeps and lights etc. even though the screen stayed blank?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Yes, it did - but I am more worried about the fact that the PC never shut down the entire night - any reason why that happened?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:22 pm

I agree about the PC - that's what I was saying. My bigger concern would have been the computer, but it's good to know that it booted up OK. Mine did that the other night too... I shut it down, but when I walked by on my way upstairs, it was still "shutting down." I had to do a hard shut-down with the on/off button. It booted back up right away and then shut down OK. Who knows!

The brief time the monitor came on sure points to something to do with the power or with the video cable.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Duh and double duh - I am a stupid stupid woman and I am very angry with myself - cos this stupid woman only checked the cables on the floor, and not the ones behind the monitor also.

And you are just a clever clogs lol. It was indeed a loose cable behind the monitor! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Oh, thank heavens!! I am so relieved... My first thoughts are always the easiest ones - cables at the back of the monitor followed by cables to the power source. If those are good, then you move on to more complicated potential problems.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:54 pm

Sounds like you got off lucky!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:07 am

Phew, you can say that again, Diat :wink:
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”