Free upgrade to windows 10 ends July 29

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Free upgrade to windows 10 ends July 29

Postby mbday630 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:59 am

I just read that the free upgrade from microsoft ends July 29. I really like my windows 7. I am torn if I should upgrade or not. Hubby doesn't like his windows 10. I'm wondering if I will regret it if I don't upgrade soon. Should I?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Free upgrade to windows 10 ends July 29

Postby draclvr » Sat May 07, 2016 8:25 am

As always, it's totally up to you. Microsoft will provide extended support for Windows 7 until 2020. But if you still have that computer, then you will need to take it offline as it will no longer receive security patches just like Windows XP. Of course a new computer will have Windows 10 on it as this is the last OS. They will simply be upgrading it through the update process.

I'm not sure why your hubby doesn't like Windows 10. I've found it to be very "Windows 7 -like.." Especially compared to Windows 8. If he has it, maybe you could just use his for a few hours and see what you think. I find it faster and very stable. If you are having trouble finding familiar things, here is just one trick. Right click on the start button to get a list of things you are used to.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat May 07, 2016 8:47 am

I absolutely love Windows 10 :D
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Sat May 07, 2016 10:29 am

mbday630 wrote:I just read that the free upgrade from microsoft ends July 29. I really like my windows 7. I am torn if I should upgrade or not. Hubby doesn't like his windows 10.

If you "really like" Windows 7, I think you should stick with it.
Compatibility with older games from the 2000's is better with Windows 7.
Depending on what games you play and what your computer hardware is, you might find several games don't work in Windows 10 when they worked in Windows 7.

If your husband has Windows 10, see if he'll let you use his computer.
Has he told you why he doesn't like it?
Do any of his objections apply to you?

I'm wondering if I will regret it if I don't upgrade soon. Should I?

You might regret it if you do "upgrade."
Supposedly you're allowed to go back to your previous Windows version if you don't like Windows 10 (as long as you revert within 30 days). However this doesn't work for everyone and some people say they've lost data or that their drivers didn't work correctly after going back. So if you want to try Windows 10, I suggest backing up your hard drive using a backup utility that will image your entire hard drive. That way you KNOW you can go back to your previous Windows 7 installation exactly the way it was before.

The Windows 10 computer I've used (a Dell Optiplex with 8GB memory) is slower to fully boot than Windows 7 or 8 on either of my home computers. This is despite that I have only half as much memory on the Windows 7 computer (which has 4GB memory), the processor is a couple of years older on my home computer, and the Windows 7 installation is several years old. Why would Windows 7 be faster than Windows 10, even though it's installed on an older computer with half as much memory? It may be because the Dell wasn't designed for Windows 10 and the drivers aren't as good as they should be. This is something to keep in mind though -- if your computer wasn't designed for Windows 10, the drivers may not work as well as they did for Windows 7. It just depends on what you have.

By the time you're ready to get another computer, most of the bugs and annoyances of Windows 10 should be worked out, and any computer you buy will be made to work with Windows 10 (unless you get a Mac or something). As Draclvr said, Windows 7 is supported with security updates until 2020. Windows 7 will work after that, but unless Microsoft decides to extend security updates you may want to take it offline after that (the way people do with XP now).
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Middletoe, I think you convinced me to stay with my windows 7. I really do like it and I had to fiddle around so much to get my hubby's windows10 so that he even liked it. (too many apps right on the desktop for him). Plus, I have lots of old games and I think most of them will run better on windows7. so, unless something really changes my mind before July, I think I will stay with what I have now. Thanks!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat May 07, 2016 1:48 pm

I think that is the best idea for you. If you really like it and it works for you, just stay with it. I had two of my clients I have kept on Windows 7 for the reasons you will!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Sat May 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Great thread, I came here this morning specifically to ask for advice on Windows 10! You know me, I had to be dragged kicking and screaming from my beloved XP, and now I have to admit Windows 7 isn't so bad. My dad keeps going on about upgrading to 10 because it's free, and I am so tired of every computer I use telling me to upgrade! Then this week both my work and home computers decided they would upgrade themselves! Well, the home one tried, but I caught it in time. Not sure if I caught the work one in time, it was at 5% when I cancelled it. Anyway, then I thought maybe I should upgrade and came here to find out. My main worries are everything is always different and not the way I like it - I struggle to do anything in Windows 8 at work, and I still have trouble doing things in Windows 7 that I knew how to do in XP, but google mostly helps there. But I am worried that I will have trouble with games running. After reading this thread I think I'll stick with 7, my computer is a few years old already, I'll get it when I eventually get a new machine. Thanks!
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat May 14, 2016 8:55 pm

I tell people if you like your Windows 7, then you should stick with it. Microsoft will support it for 3 more years. If you still have the same computer, you will need to take it off-line. But if you get a new one, you will be going to Windows 10 like it or not!. But there is nothing wrong with putting it off for a few more years!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 am

I took steps to insure my Windows 7 ASUS would not automatically upgrade. Still Microsoft tries to sneak in their KB upgrades to facilitate the switch. I have to continually put them on "ignore." Any upgrade that appears on the list of recommended or optional upgrades, I look up to see exactly what they're supposed to do before I download them. When I'm ready for a new computer, it will come with whatever the operating system is at the time. That's fine. Just don't try to force your new system on me.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun May 15, 2016 11:14 am

I couldn't agree more, JK. What you really need to do is REMOVE those KB updates. I've done it on a couple of computers and it seems to work.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how- ... our-system
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Sun May 15, 2016 1:13 pm

I've done exactly that, Drac. Uninstalled the update and Hid the update. Still, Microsoft keeps trying as KB3035583 shows up in the list of updates every couple of months. There was also a registry hack that also prevented the updates from automatically installing: http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to- ... matically/

Did that too, in case Microsoft sneaks something else in.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun May 15, 2016 2:28 pm

I HATE that! Sheesh - let ME decide!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 pm

JKEerie wrote: There was also a registry hack that also prevented the updates from automatically installing:
http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to- ... matically/

Or if you don't want to mess with the registry, there is Never10, which is very easy to use.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

The current version will remove any Windows 10 installation files that Microsoft may have secretly downloaded onto your computer without your knowledge.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Mon May 16, 2016 3:43 am

I've been using GWX control panel, which lets you disable the nagging 'reminder', remove any downloaded installation files and configure Windows Update so it won't keep trying:
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Mon May 16, 2016 10:54 am

I had seen that GWX control panel as well Phlebas but had not downloaded it. I just did to make it easier to block Microsoft from any shenanigans.

Return to “Technical Help”