Lucien21 Books 2016

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Lucien21 Books 2016

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:56 am

Must put this one on my list. I just finished the first 4 books in the Wanderer's Odyessey series and really enjoyed them. This one is also about space in the future - and it's not pretty!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Lucien21 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:35 pm

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle (sex unknown), a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious buy inept wizard, a naïve tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, dragons who only exist ifyou believe in them, and of course THE EDGE of the planet...

I have had a strange on off relationship with the Discworld novels, I have only really read about six or seven of them. They never really grabbed me. SO I thought I would give them another shot.

Re-reading it so many years later it surprised me how much of it I remembered, even some of the small comments and scenes. How the novel was mostly a DnD game played by the gods, the great scenes with DEATH, the imaginary dragons and the cirumfence.

I could also appreciate more the wit and humour in the book, some of which probably where not cool the first time around (I was a moody 15 when it was released)

“Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant ‘idiot.” - HIghly relatable to my job :D

Going back and rereading the first book, it obviously shows the author feeling around with the world and characters, trying to form a style and narrative. Some of which will change a lot as his writing style is honed over the course of 40 odd novels. Some characters are bare bones, but will become favourites, some you will never see again. The "Map" of the world is sketchy, but will be filled in later.

Having read some of the more recent novels you can see where he has sharpened the wit and really become comfortable in the Discworld and looking at how it started was occassionally weird.

Overall though I had a good time with the book, laughing at most of the jokes, groaning at others.

4.5/5

PS. Could not stop hearing Eric Idles voice for all the Rincewind bits.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:46 pm

I fell in love with the Discworld series right from the beginning, but I agree that the stories and characterizations gained depth as he added to the series. I started reading them back-to-back 8 years ago, so I'm overdue for another readthrough.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:57 am

Persuader - Lee Child

Book Seven in the "gonna catch up with the Jack Reacher novels" series.

Probably the best one yet.

This time Reacher goes undercover to find a missing DEA agent and an old enemy from his MP days.

Fun read.

3.5/5
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:23 am

Still remember buying my first Discworld book. It was at a W.H. Smith's in Bristol, part of a big display. To this day, I don't know what grabbed me about this book, the first one in the series, to make me buy it. I don't LIKE fantasy one little bit! But, somehow or other I bought the first one, immediately went back and bought 3 or 4 more, continued to buy them until I'd bought ever one to date, then had to wait for each new one to come out. My favs were the Rincewind books, the Witches series and the Guards one. Still have all of mine, even Nanny Ogg's Cookbook and the maps. Still reread regularly.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:14 pm

The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...

I believe that this novel is the only direct sequel in the series. Picking up directly from where Clour of Magic finished. Rincewind and Twoflower are in grave danger and then *poof* one of the great spells resets reality and it puts the heroes on a course to save the world from colliding with a star.

It's a funny romp that takes some classic characters like DEATH and cohan the barbarian and puts a unique spin on them.

4/5

- "What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 am

Arkwright - Allen Steele

Allen Steele likes his space colony novels. With numerous books set on the Coyote colony. This is his first stand alone novel for a few years.

This one does feature mankinds attempt to colonise another planet but more from the Earth persepctive. At least for the majority of the novel.

Nathan Arkwright is a popular Sci-Fi author with his Galaxy Patrol novels who gets more and more unsettled and isolationist as he gets older. As his final act he sets up the Arkwright Foundation a group of his old friends and family who use his vast wealth to set about building and launching a Spaceship that will reach a nearby planet.

So the book spans three generation of the Arkwright family as they get the craft built and launched. There are struggles along the way, from direct opposition to the project and homegrown politics and struggles within the family to maintain interest in the long period of time it takes for the ship to reach its destination with no guarantee of success.

It is pretty unusal to see a generational ship story told from this perspective and I enjoyed the book for the most part. Steele likes his SciFi to be on the realistic side so there is no FTL travel and the ship is carrying DNA material rather than actual passengers which sets up some of the ethical conflict in the book. The science is good and the various members of the Arkwright family as well told. It is interesting reading how some of them cope with the path that locked them into the family business for generations while most of the planet stopped paying attention after the ship launches.

The only issue I had with the book was the shortness of the ending segment which deals with the endgame of the ships journey. I would have liked more on how the colony was formed etc.

Overall though it was a decent read.

4/5
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Orphan X - Gregg Hurwitz

'Do you need my help?

It was always the first question he asked. They called him when they had nowhere else to turn.

As a boy he was chosen, then taken from the orphanage he called home.

Raised and trained as part of a top secret programme he was sent to the worst places in the world to do the things his government denied any knowledge of.

Then he broke with the programme, using everything he'd learned to disappear. He wanted to help the desperate and deserving.

But now someone's on his tail. Someone who has issues with his past. Someone who knows he was once known simply as

Orphan X

I saw this in the local Waterstones last weekend and ended up getting the Kindle edition. The inside cover blurb caught my attention as something that might be fun.

I blew through the book in a couple of days. I couldn't put it down. It is a mix of Jack Reatcher and Jason Bourne. Rasied as an orphan and trained to be the best spy/assassin until he enables the smoke program and vanishes. Now he lives off the grid and helps people in need..He has become The Nowhere Man.

He works by a series of commandments designed to keep him safe, but when he he helps a teenage girl and her preteen sister against a corrupt cop things start to spiral out of control. His next client gets him involved in a case that goes from bad to worse exposing him to danger and a threat from an area he wasn't expecting.

This is a thrill a minute with some interesting characters and a ton of action.

Really looking forward to the next in the Evan Smoak series.

5/5
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon May 09, 2016 3:28 pm

This latest one sounds good, Lucien. I'm going to see if it has been published over here.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Orphan X. I just finished it yesterday and really liked it. It was suspenseful and had some nice twists. I understand the author is writing the screenplay for Warner Bros.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:59 pm

LadyKestrel wrote:Thanks for the heads up on Orphan X. I just finished it yesterday and really liked it. It was suspenseful and had some nice twists. I understand the author is writing the screenplay for Warner Bros.

Glad you enjoyed it. I got my mum into reading it as well.

I should get a commission :D
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:05 pm

I downloaded it to my Surface too! So, I'm sure you will receive your commission soon...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Star Wars Bloodline - Claudia Gray

This is one of the new Canon Star Wars novels. Set 6 years before Force Awakens it deals with the aftermath of the Empires Downfall. Princess Leia is a senator in the New Republic. Typical of politics nothing is going easy after the end of the war. Infighting and bickering in the senate means that nothing gets done. Lots of Partisan blocking and politics being played on boths sides to hinder any progress.

Princess Leia is getting disaffected by the whole affair so when a chance to investigate a new rising underworld criminal comes along she hops on it, but nothing is what it seems and it leads to political backstabbing, secret armies and a mysterious force that seems to be pulling the strings behind it all.

When her biggest secret is about to be revealed Leis must pull on all her skills to protect the New Republic from imploding. For at the edges of the galaxy, a mysterious threat is growing. . . .

I enjoyed this book. Being mostly Leia focused it plants the seeds to the Force Awakens movie and introduces some new characters that are not just carboard cut outs. An opposition polititian who collects remnents of Empire gear, an experienced female pilot and a brash new X-Wing pilot all who play big parts in the investigation.

While a lot of the book deals with the political situation after RotJ, two people from opposite sides of the senate who join forces for a bigger cause, there is also a fair bit of action. It was nice to see that it was nothing to do with the Jedi and that Leia is more than capable of holding her own in the mire. It also has a bit of how she is dealing with her bloodline from both her adopted and biological heritage.

A good read

4/5
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:49 am

End of Watch - Stephen King

This is the third novel in the Bill Hodges Trilogy. It started with Mr Mercedes where a deranged killer used a car to kill a bunch of people at a job faire. Bill is a retired cop who got drawn into the investigation when the killer tried to goad him into killing himself. Instead it spurred him back to life and he chased down leads to catch the killer with help from a couple of other. The second book sees Bill set up a detective agency called "Finders Keepers" with the Holly and Jerome from the first book.

In End of Watch the killer from the first book is back and planning revenge. Having been in a coma state for five years he has a new skill and is aiming to cause choas and finish what he started.

In what has been mostly a detective crime series, this novel adds in a big dose of Stephen King supernatural while still highlighting the crime/thriller angle. It was hinted at in the Finders Keepers ending, but it plays a big part of this novel.

I like the characters in this series. Bill's retired cop is great and his journey through the series from near suicidal ex cop to father figure and hero detective is well realised. His relationship with the damaged Hollie is fun to read. She is quirky, smart and full of insecurities which Bill brings her out of her shell and makes her feel part of the world again. In return she mothers Bill and looks after him. It's a great pairing.

Brady Hartsfield is a great bad guy, his new powers and his plans are devious.

It all makes for a great conclusion to the series and it comes full circle with a satisfying ending.

It's not up with King's best, but I enjoyed it.

4/5
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:03 pm

I did read the first in the series and liked it, so I'll definitely follow up with the next two.

Return to “Book Discussions”