Problems, Problems!

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Problems, Problems!

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:03 am

Switched my PC on when I got up today, and found out I can do virtually nothing with it - No matter what I click on - be it Mozilla, Chrome, Word etc - I just get the error message "Not responding". This has only happened since I did an Adobe update yesterday - and I dont know if this is a coincidence or not.

It has taken me 5 hours to run MalwareBytes, CCleaner and to delete McAfee Security with Revo installer, as this came with the Adobe update yesterday! It has even taken me 10 minutes to type this posting, grrrrr.

Nothing untoward was found when running the above software, but my PC is still virtually unusable - Any ideas as to what to do next anyone? I did reboot after running all the software.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Problems, Problems!

Postby Faust » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:14 am

Something is using all your available ram , slowing Windows to a crawl . If you're able , boot in to Safe Mode (usually by pressing F8 while the computer is booting) , & see if you can access System Restore . Restore your computer to a day or two before you did the Flash update , see what that gets you . By chance , do you have another antivirus program installed ?
Look around you... I am everywhere!!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Of course I should have mentioned that I am running Windows 10, Faust - duh!

Well, I did as you suggested but all my System Restore points failed - this can only happen to me! :roll:
Boobie
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Faust » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:02 pm

No worries , not mentioning Win 10 . Have you a spyware program that you can run ? Just trying to eliminate the possible causes for your troubles . It sort of sounds like either your computer is full of spyware , or you have a particular nasty virus .
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:06 pm

It for sure is acting like it has a virus or spyware, but surely Windows Defender, MalwareBytes and CCleaner would have found something?

Going to try one more go at System Restore, but each time it is taking sooooo long to complete the process.
Boobie
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Faust » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Rosaboobie wrote:It for sure is acting like it has a virus or spyware, but surely Windows Defender, MalwareBytes and CCleaner would have found something?

Going to try one more go at System Restore, but each time it is taking sooooo long to complete the process.

Not necessarily . I've never trusted Windows Defender myself . Their detection rates , in comparison to , say , Avast or Avira , stink . Maywarebytes , nothing wrong there . Ccleaner is more for junk files cleaning & registry repair than virus detection/removal . There are two more things you can try . One , go back in to safe mode , & see if you can run your antivirus ,see where that leads . Two , if nothing else works , would be to back up what files you deem important enough , & re-install windows . Not being able to access any system restore points , to me anyhow , sort of screams having a rather nasty virus .
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:14 pm

I would also try running the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool that updates monthly with Windows. Sometimes it can find nasty bugs that other programs miss.
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Faust » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:18 pm

housecall.trendmicro.com MAY help also . Just thought of that .
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:57 pm

I have NEVER been able to get System Restore to work, seems the only way would be if I manually set a Restore point each and every day. Have you got Spybot installed, that finds loads of junk?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Thank you for all your help, and especially to Faust who came to my aid so quickly!

Well, it seems the last System Restore that I thought I had aborted actually seems to have worked, cos so more shenanigans :cheers:
Boobie
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Faust » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Congrats , glad things seem to be working again !!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:15 pm

I assume you first tried to reboot, Rosaboobie? That usually solves about 95% of problems! But I'm glad you got your System Restore to work.

I've been using Defender along with Malwarebytes Pro for years and have never had a problem. It's not rated particularly well, but it is getting better. But Defender, Malwarebytes Pro and good surfing practices have served me well for many year with nary a piece of malware.

Can I also assume you got your sound issues sorted out?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:53 am

Well, what do you know, I got up this morning, switched my PC on, and the very same thing is happeneing - grrrrrrrrr :cry:
Boobie
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:00 am

JKEerie wrote:I would also try running the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool that updates monthly with Windows. Sometimes it can find nasty bugs that other programs miss.

If this automatically comes with Windows 10, why cant I find it on my PC??
Boobie
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 am

You can't - it is something that comes with your updates and after it runs, it's gone. Try doing a CTRL/ALT/DEL to bring up your Task Manager. Scroll through everything to see if anything stands out as using up all your resources. I'm afraid I have to leave shortly to head down to the Ranch. Working plus have a tour later... all in the 102° heat. Blech...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Return to “Technical Help”