Problems, Problems!

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Problems, Problems!

Postby JKEerie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 pm

Actually, Rosy, you can get it to run. I actually created a shortcut on my desktop for it. It should be located in your system 32 folder in Windows. I don't know how it works in Windows 10, but in Windows 7 you would In your start menu, select Run. Then type MRT.exe. That should launch the tool.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:42 pm

There's supposed to be an option for a more thorough scan if you run the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually (instead of through Windows Update). There are instructions for doing this in Windows 10 at Tenforums here:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6027-malicious-software-removal-tool-use-windows.html
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Great link, middletoe. Already bookmarked it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Rosaboobie wrote:It has taken me 5 hours to run MalwareBytes, CCleaner and to delete McAfee Security with Revo installer, as this came with the Adobe update yesterday!

McAfee is an antivirus -- albeit a poor one.
That means you can't just uninstall in the usual way. You have to use a special removal tool.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool/
or direct from McAfee at this link

If it were as easy to uninstall an antivirus as any other program, malware would do it all the time.
That's why most antivirus have a specific removal tool you have to run.

The remnants of McAfee may be what's causing your slowdown problems.
See if running the McAfee removal tool helps.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:19 pm

That's a good idea... although usually the McAfee that is downloaded with Adobe updates if you don't uncheck it is, not the full anti-virus program. Last time I saw it, it was called "McAfee Security Scan." I absolutely loathe everything about McAfee and am also wondering if there isn't something related to McAfee running in the background. When you do a Task Manager check, that would be something to look for. But definitely try the McAfee removal tool.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 pm

I agree, draclvr.
Considering that the problems started around the time McAfee installed, it's certainly suspect.
I "thought" the version that tries to install with Adobe updates was a scanner for the web browser, but who knows.
Certainly other programs besides the web browser are being affected, and the problem sounds like the kind of thing that could happen if you try to use two antivirus programs at once --> extreme slowness.

But if that fails, and the McAfee uninstaller finds nothing, there's also the possibility of a hardware problem like a failing hard drive, and you might run chkdsk to make sure that's not the case. Here's one site with nstructions for Windows 10
https://windowsinstructed.com/run-chkdsk-windows/
A failing hard drive could also explain why the System Restore didn't work.

Since it's Windows 10, there might also be a problem with a Windows Update. You can check if one of those updates installed around the time you started having problems. Instructions here <---
I would guess Windows 10 update is NOT the problem, but perhaps there's a conflict with the McAfee?
Best to make sure the McAfee is all gone in any case, and chkdsk can rule out a problem with the hard drive.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:51 pm

I agree with you, Drac, I hated McAfee. It gummed up my pc so badly, making it slow as molasses. Norton wasn't any better. So, now I've settled on Webroot Security Suite. I love the real time protection it offers and it runs seemlessly in the background.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Thank you - I have downloaded and run the McAfee removal tool - I did notice that there was also a Windows update the first time this happened, whenI went into System Restore. Just saw a message to say Windows update available, and am very wary of downloading anything onto this PC just now!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Did running the McAfee removal tool improve the speed of your computer at all?
Or is it still really slow?
You might have to reboot after running it for it to complete the removal.

Windows 10 usually downloads updates without asking your permission, unless you configure it not to.
If you know the KB number of the update, you might want to check what it's for. Maybe it fixes a problem with
a previous update.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Rosaboobie, I can't remember if you got Windows 8.1 Basic or Pro with this new computer? If it's Basic, then when you upgraded to Windows 10 last year, it will also be Basic. At this point, people with Windows 10 Basic don't have the option of delaying updates. That's only available in Pro or above. I understand the problem as people who didn't keep their computers updated left them open to all kinds of problems, but STILL! When there is an update that is causing problems, for crying out loud let ME decide! I have Pro, so I have mine set to notify me first.

This sure smells like McAfee gumming up the works though... maybe the so-called Security Scan runs on every startup or something.

So, you say your ran the tool, but not if it helped the situation. Definitely do a reboot as middletoe suggested and see what happens.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:45 am

I just did a Flash Player update and notices that not only is the stupid McAfee Security Scan option already checked, but now they are also offering some kind of Intel password manager of some kind. I know it's all about money, but it is just SOOO aggravating.

Rosaboobie, did your issues finally get resolved after running the McAfee Removal Tool?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying - went to town on Saturday and missed the darn ferry, and had to stay overnight - grrrrrr.

Yes, once I ran the McAfee Removal Tool, it in fact told me to reboot, and since then I have had no further problems and PC running fast as normal - thanks everyone for all your input - very much appreciated.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Well, that pretty much cinches it then - all your resources were being used as Faust said and it was the stupid McAfee Security Scan...

I'll bet you were not happy to have to stay in town!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:03 pm

There was a festival on somewhere,and I had to stomp around for ages looing for "room at the inn". I would gladly have slept in my car, but I would have been bored out of my brains.

And then when I got to the ferry (2 hours early), I was Standby Vehicle One as Sunday is the day that the ferry runs excursions to all the other islands. I have never seen so many people on our little ferry ever! I was very lucky to get my car on, but had I not been so lucky, I would just have left the car with the ferry people, and gone on as a foot passenger. :roll:
Boobie
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Rosaboobie wrote:Sorry for the delay in replying - went to town on Saturday and missed the darn ferry, and had to stay overnight - grrrrrr.

Interesting place you live in.

Yes, once I ran the McAfee Removal Tool, it in fact told me to reboot, and since then I have had no further problems and PC running fast as normal - thanks everyone for all your input - very much appreciated.

I'm glad to hear it worked.

Return to “Technical Help”