DVD Player

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

DVD Player

Postby Stella » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 am

The DVD player in my computer has stopped working. How involved is installing a new one? Could I purchase a new one and install it myself?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: DVD Player

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:15 am

Yes, they are easy to install if you decide to replace it. Has it simply stopped reading disks or it won't open or what is it doing?

If you don't want to open up the case, unplug and remove the old one and install a new one, there are exterior USB DVD drives too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 am

The tray opens and closes, but it doesn't seem to read the disc.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 am

I assume you have tried some different disks? If you open up your library, do you see the DVD drive listed?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes, DVD is listed, and yes have tried other cd's. I have the case open, eh, removed the dust, and unplugged the cd rom. It doesn't seem to want to slide out very easily. Does this call for some elbow grease?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:50 pm

If the optical drive is listed, then it is being "seen" by your operating system. You will need to remove some screws which are holding it in place unless your case uses tool free drive seating. There should be two cables... one is the data cable which is plugged into the motherboard and one is plugged into the power supply. Don't know what kind of cables are required for your motherboard though.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Remembered that I have a cd rom cleaning disc and actually managed to find it! So after using the disc, (it read that ok) I now get tossed right back to the desktop, when I put in a movie cd. Think I should give up and just go but a new one?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Might be easier... Like I said, if you don't want to open the case and start plugging and unplugging stuff, you can just get an exterior one that you connect with a USB cable.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am

Is your computer a name brand?
We might be able to find instructions for how to replace the DVD drive if you have a name brand and model number for your computer.

When the computer case uses screws to hold in the DVD drive, it's fairly obvious what to do to remove the DVD drive. Once the screws (and cables) are removed, the drive slides right out. You might have to remove both sides of the case to get at all the screws. Sometimes it's easier to remove the front of the case before pulling out the DVD drive, though this isn't always necessary.

But some of the so-called "toolless" cases can be a lot trickier. There are usually rails screwed (or snapped) to the sides of the DVD drive. You have to remove the front of the case and either pull the tabs on the sides of the drive bay away from each other or pinch the ends of the rails together while pulling out the drive.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:36 am

Good suggestion...
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Mine has 2 plug ins and I found 2 screws underneath the rom. I have it out of the case. I bought this computer on-line from Ecollege maybe 2 years ago. I wrote to them today and asked him (Mike) about fixing it or replacement parts. He said that I should just go ahead and replace it, because it would only be $19.99 for the Rom. He gave me a link to the one I needed and I ordered it. Hopefully It will install and run for me easily. :neutral:

Everything I have picked up this week, I have broken!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Oh, excellent. You simply can't beat the customer service from eCollegePC!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 am

Did you ever get your new DVD player installed, Stella?
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:28 am

Yes, thank you. I've been catching up on my movie watching with freebies from the library.

Return to “Technical Help”