Feeders ready

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Feeders ready

Postby mbday630 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:20 pm

I have my hummingbird feeders and my "baltimoriole" feeders at the ready. With this warm/nice weather we are having lately, I was thinking that I could see one of them any day. I looked at the migration map for them and they have been seen in my area. Maybe my jelly isn't the best brand??? Maybe my oranges are not orange enough? Maybe my sugar water isn't the right consistency? I don't know, but, I have been keeping my eyes on the feeders! come on spring!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Feeders ready

Postby Diat60 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 pm

A couple of weeks ago we saw something I've never seen before - a flock of 40 to 50 robins, all on the grass in front of the church across the street. At first we thought they must be another type of bird, grackle or something, but the flaming red breast gave it away. I Googled and apparently this can happen when food is scarce in their winter habitat. The males fly north first, accounting for all the red breasts, and they each lay claim to a nesting site. The females follow later and build the nest and hatch the young. They stayed in the area for a couple of days then vanished leaving a couple of males behind. Now the females have arrived and their busy season is here.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 am

I put my feeders out early, because our returning birds ( robins, red-wing blackbirds) showed up early. Yesterday I spotted an oriole at my orange feeder, but no Hummers yet.

I have my "No Snow" sign posted in the front yard, where it shall remain until the end of May. :flower:
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

oh wow, you saw an oriole already? That is what I am hoping for. I am watching like crazy.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I have to find new placement for my feeders since I had to have my tree taken down due to a huge windstorm (in which my neighbor's tree fell on my house). I have one feeder up on a pole and then I'll put some shepherd's hooks in the garden for some other feeders. I have a robin's nest in a pine tree where I used to put a suet feeder. So...can't go there for a bit.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Our barn swallows showed up Sunday morning and the hummers started arriving Monday. They are usually right on schedule both arriving and departing at the same time. My hummingbird feeders are on my "hummingbird porch," aptly named as I put out 1 gallon EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Our Black Dahlia had sent me a lovely wind chime and I took one of the feeders down and hung the chime up so she could see it and hear the chimes and the hummingbirds.

Drac's Hummingbird Porch
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 am

Oh, what a lovely memorial for Black Dahlia!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 am

That is so beautiful Drac. I miss hearing those hummingbird chirps hopefully I will hear them soon. One gallon every day! wow.

My neighbor is leaving for China tomorrow and asked me to feed her fish so I will have something different to look at for the next 2 weeks.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am

I had to take my dog to the vet this morning and the girl there told me that her neighbor has her whole garden planted already. We are having really nice weather but I don't trust it yet to plant the garden. but, hubby did rot
otill the garden this past weekend so i am ready.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:25 pm

I love the video of your porch, Drac. I haven't put up a hummer feeder in many years because I kept getting ants and wasps where it was hung, and I don't have a better place to relocate it. I do feed my seed eaters all year round. Cardinals, chickadees, tufted titmouses, blue jays, mourning doves, house finches, several types of sparrows, and very fat squirrels and chipmunks are regular visitors along with robins, an occasional flicker or downy woodpecker, and the maurading groups of starlings, blackbirds, and grackles that pass through periodically.

I had some landscaping done in the front of my house this past fall and need to plant some more perennials for color. In another week or two, I'll check out what's available locally. I'm also thinking of getting a bench to put in the front. Charleston Gardens has a heavy iron one that won't get blown away or walk away with someone. It's pricey, but I like the way it looks.
There's no such thing as too many books!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:40 am

i did see the male Baltimoriole yesterday but he didn't stay long. The house finches ate all my jelly. As soon as he left, I refilled the jelly supply. Hopefully he will come back.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”