Wild Weather

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Wild Weather

Postby Diat60 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Are our American friends all safe? We've been getting horrific weather reports re hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc. etc. We've been having heavy rain here in Ontario, which has done us the favor of showing us a small leak around the chimney, but nothing like you've been experiencing.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Wild Weather

Postby Val » Wed May 03, 2017 12:51 am

Yes - thinking about you all. Keep safe and your feet dry!!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed May 03, 2017 8:43 am

ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Where I live in east central Missouri, we have interstates closed, schools are all closed, bridges under water, sewage treatment plants washed out and general misery everywhere. We've had between 7 and 10 inches of rain in just a couple of days and after a respite with sunshine yesterday, it's pouring again. Supposed to get between 2 and 4 more inches today and tomorrow. We can get in town, but the road we use is under 8 feet of water, so we have to take the looooong way around to go there.

This time of year we have dozens of school tours at the rescue ranch and most of them have been cancelled because of roads and interstates being closed. I'm going to go down to muck stalls for a few hours this morning, but am supposed to have a tour at 10. Don't know if it's cancelled or not as it's pouring again.

Just do a search for Union Missouri flooding 2017 and there are several videos out there.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Wed May 03, 2017 8:54 am

My comment about keeping your feet dry was so off the mark!! Keep everything dry, Drac and hope things improve soon. We could certainly do with some of your rain as our dams have on average less than 18% potable water left. We are facing Fall/Autumn here with no rain, lovely sunshine and some days the temps are in the late 30s F. But saying that we don't need the floods that you have! Take care. V
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 pm

The other day was like a monsoon. Wind gusts around 60 mph. Had to run out and catch my Mom's porch swing as the wind just blew it off our covered patio. I was able to secure it so no apparent damage. Our pond rose a few feet. It's back to normal today. So glad there are no longer any tall trees around the house as I would have been sweating bullets. There were a couple of tornadoes south of us. Some property damage but no one injured. The weather is really getting crazy. Anyone who still doubts climate change has their head in the sand!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 pm

I submit that climate change deniers have said heads inserted firmly elsewhere.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Sounds like you've been through the wars! I know there's been loss of life in Texas and elsewhere. Hope it all settles down for the foreseeable future. I believe your new President is a climate change denier, I wonder what he's making of your weather now? Incidentally, I meant my comment about our small leak to be ironic.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed May 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Our Climate Change Denier in Chief is not thoughtful enough to understand what is going on.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:21 pm

The rain and flooding have caught up with us here in Ottawa. Houses are being evacuated on both sides of the Ottawa River and Emergencies being declared in communities up and down the river. We live about a mile from the river where we live, so we're not too worried about actual flooding, but apparently there's concern over the sewers. Fingers crossed.

Have the flood waters gone down in Missouri yet?
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri May 05, 2017 3:30 pm

That big storm moved into NJ today with heavy winds and torrential rain. My back yard looked like a swimming pool for most of the morning, but the water has subsided now. Our soil here is sandy, so it doesn't take long for the water to percolate down. Of course, Zork and Radar begged to go out in the middle of it and were drenched to the skin in the two minutes it took them to do what they had to do.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”