Wireless routers working round the house

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Wireless routers working round the house

Postby Kickaha » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Do any of you suffer from unreliable connecting to a wireless router depending on which room you're in? To me it seems very variable how well various devices connect, sometimes it seems OK sometimes not.

Not sure either how much better in practice an Ethernet cable is in terms of performance over a wireless connection.

We're going to change our Internet provider as I don't think all the problems are just the wireless router signal penetrating the walls of the house.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Wireless routers working round the house

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:29 pm

I don't have this problem at all. I can get my WiFi signal on the 2nd floor and in multiple rooms around the house in addition to at least 50 feet from the house. My grandkids watch movies while out on the pool deck all the time. You can get boosters to boost your signal to go further, but this sounds like you may have other issues.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:51 am

My signal is too weak for the PC to pick p the wifi signal, so I have reverted back to connecting with the ethernet cable, and the connection is just fine now.

I have however just bought a British Telecoms pack called BT Whole Home Wifi - not had chance to connect it up yet, but I am hoping it will do the trick as I have walls a metre thick in some parts of the house where the wifi signal just does not penetrate.

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-br ... UQodQ9QFQw
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Hope it helps? Do I have a vague memory that you tried the WiFi signal that you plugged into your electrical outlets?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Wow Draclvr I'm more in RB's situation!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:15 pm

What kind of WiFi router are you using, Kickaha?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 am

draclvr wrote:Hope it helps? Do I have a vague memory that you tried the WiFi signal that you plugged into your electrical outlets?

Yes I was able to connect with wifi for a couple of weeks after my new Hard Drive was fitted last month, but then the whole island received an extreme drop in the quality of the signal, and so I had to resort back to ethernet, but that's ok as it works fine for me.

Although this new package I have jut bought is not cheap, perhaps you might consider one of these, Kickaha? I will try and set it up this week and let you know the outcome, but the advert does say that I will get my mooney back if it does not work - so watch this space!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:55 am

I am also very interested to see how it works.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 pm

BT are due to install their Internet early September so hopefully their hub is more powerful than the router VirginMedia have given us.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I had no real issues problems with connectivity with my internet/cable provider. I purchased my own Netgear wireless modem/router to save the monthly fee the company charged. I love the support you get from Netgear. I had an issue with interference as my neighborhood has a lot of wifi networks from people's homes, etc. Netgear helped me to troubleshoot and gave me a free download of a program to diagnose the interference. Then they advised me to go to the admin settings in my router to change some settings. The issue has disappeared...and with the savings of the monthly fee, the modem/router has paid for itself.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:34 pm

That's great to know - I also have a Netgear router, but I've never needed to call their support.

Return to “Technical Help”