The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:27 am

That sounds scrummy, Diat :cool:

So, how was the Halloween Bonfire, Drac?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Best one ever, Rosaboobie! There were at least 50 people here with close of half of them little kids. The hayride down to the river through the dark spooky woods was a big hit as usual! Dave even turns off the tractor light when he's going through that part to really make it spooky... out here in the country, there are no lights anywhere until you get to a house.

Lots of food eaten and after everyone left, Dave and I sat out by the smaller bonfire in a light misty rain and drank a couple more beers! Finally had to go in when we got too wet.

I will post the recipe for the Caramel Popcorn everyone loved. They said it was like crack once you started eating it!

Pop 5 quarts of popcorn and remove all the unpopped kernels. Mix 1 cup of real butter, 2 cups of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white corn syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring, and let it boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt. The baking soda will cause it to foam up, so be careful getting it all mixed in really well. Pour over the popcorn and mix well. Put into a 250° oven for about an hour, stirring a couple of times. Pour out onto a greased surface - I just put cooking spray on a clean counter top - and allow to cool, breaking it up into smaller pieces. Because I had a bunch of dehydrated spiced apple chips, I figured it couldn't be a bad thing to break some up and toss them in with the popcorn!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:27 am

So glad it went well, and that you all had a great time :cheers:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:39 pm

It sounds like a good time was had by all, Drac.

Our Halloween was quiet. We got only 17 kids because the big county Halloween parade was the same night. My sister bought enough candy for 100 kids, so I am overdosing on chocolate right now.
Winter is an etching, spring is a watercolor, summer is an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. -Stanley Horowitz
Helen7869
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby Helen7869 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 am

Sounds like it was a great time. :)
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 am

This was a couple of years ago, Helen. We didn't have one last year because I was just a few weeks out of surgery and hubby was recovering from back issues. We didn't have one this year either because we were up in NW Iowa to celebrate my mother's 94th birthday. The grandkids are clamoring for us to start doing them again, so maybe next year!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:23 am

Yay! Someone resuscitated The Recipe Exchange!! Can't bake for peanuts but have always been a collector of recipes - go figure!! :D How about reviving the forum guys?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:44 am

Well, what would you like to see?! It's definitely "soup weather" on this side of the planet! I help cook and serve meals every Wednesday night at our American Legion post and we have some pretty good recipes. Made a killer creamy chicken noodle soup last Wednesday night. And three weeks ago, I made roast beef sandwiches that people also raved about.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 pm

I made a beef goulash for supper tonight. The meat turned out moist and tender and tasty. Unfortunately only after pouring meat and gravy over the noodles, did I realize the pasta was severely undercooked. At this point, not a lot could be done but struggle through. Won't make that mistake again! (But will probably make others.)

How about your recipe for roast beef sandwiches, Drac?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:17 am

Ha, ha! Had to laugh at that one, Diat! Here you go with the roast beef sandwiches. It's really hard in a slow cooker! For me, it was a tad salty and I would use the reduced salt soy sauce. But everyone else loved it. Just throw it all in a slow cooker and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours or high for about 4 hours. I put mine in the food processor and pulsed a few times with the broth. Then we toasted really good buns or rolls (we used Kaiser rolls) and put a slice of provolone cheese on top.

-3 lbs beef roast, any kind
1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1 1⁄4 ounces onion soup mix
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:24 am

Our most popular sandwich is a grilled chicken sandwich. We tried several ways and nothing was "just right." So I suggested this and it is a real hit. What I do is put a skinless, boneless chicken breast in a Zip Loc bag and pound it with a meat mallet until it is even... The goal is to get it so that there is not a thick part in the middle, but the whole breast is an even thickness. I then thoroughly coat it with olive oil and put it on our grill with lemon pepper seasoning on the top. Of course, you can use any good heavy skillet. I also have found that the lemon pepper seasoning from a company called Penzy's Spices is a key ingredient. It is heads and shoulders above the stuff you get in a grocery store. Anyway, when one side is golden brown, flip the breast and season with the lemon pepper on the other side. You do have to watch so the seasoning doesn't burn. Grill the seasoned chicken breast until golden brown on both sides and the juice runs clear and top with a slice of provolone cheese. We use really good Kaiser roll buns which we butter and grill. Our number one sandwich!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:04 am

That chicken sandwich sounds great Drac. I presume you use deboned breasts but are they also skinless?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:43 am

Yes, I should have said that and I edited my post above. They are also halved. We get them in large packages of 15; they are frozen and individually shrink wrapped.

What we found was that simple was the best... but get really good lemon pepper seasoning. We used the stuff from the grocery store once and while it was OK, it just didn't have the "bright" flavor of the Penzy's seasoning.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks Drac - don't know whether we have frozen/fresh skinless boneless individually wrapped but don't need for big quantities and fresh is even better. One good thing is that kaiser rolls are called kaiser rolls here!! :) We have a good range of quality seasoning here so will look for the lemon pepper - all I have is lemon/herb. Will try it out even if it is only for 'moi' and via a skillet instead of a grill. Provolone cheese 100g (3.53 oz)for R30 (the equivalent of $2.11) so will have to use sparingly otherwise look for an equivalent semi soft type cheddar.

Now maybe you understand why, although I drool at all your recipes, seldom make them? But am determined to try this one out!! :)
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:02 pm

You probably can't go wrong... in many ways, this is just a starter option and you could go crazy with the options you have available to you!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”