Computer Building Saga

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Computer Building Saga

Post by draclvr » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Since we're all gamers here, thought I'd share my computer building saga this week.

My grandson who lives out in Colorado is 14. He struggles with school, but wants to go to college... he's interested in robotics, engineering and wood working. After consultation with doctors, teachers and Frank himself, he decided to try ADHD meds. So far this year he's getting all A's with a couple of B's and is even taking some honors classes. Mom and dad promised him if he could bring his grades up, he could build a gaming computer with Grandma, something he's wanted to do for years. So I shopped the sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas like mad and had everything shipped out to Denver. I flew out there last Sunday during their spring break from school so we could do the build and flew back home on Wednesday.

Since he wanted this to be a gaming computer powerful enough for the really high demand shooters and RPGs (although he also likes adventure games!!), I got some pretty high end stuff. Although we ran into a couple of glitches, it was all able to be solved. But at the end, no matter what we tried, the $400 video card was DOA. I even put in a new power supply to make sure that wasn't the problem. So I left him connected to the on-board graphics on the Core i7 CPU and brought the graphics card home with me. Wednesday evening after I got back, I ordered a new one from Amazon so he could have it by Friday.

Now, remember, this is the first time Frank has ever had the slightest thing to do with building a computer... and he had to install this new graphics card himself. He had picked up on things very quickly and had the basics of how you need power and data cables and how all the power has to come from the power supply and how components are mounted to specific slots on the motherboard. So he had to connect a power cable to the power supply that was compatible with the 8-pin connector on the video card and mount the new card on the motherboard. I had laid the correct cable out for him, but it wasn't an easy thing to do since everything else was already connected and there is virtually no room to work any more. I told him to feel free to unscrew the power supply from the case and lift it out a ways to be able to get to it.

So this was all happening Friday after 5:00 his time. We went to town to get something to eat and had stopped by the American Legion for a beer. I hadn't slept the night before and couldn't even eat much because I was so nervous about all this! I was just sick that I had to leave him without his powerful gaming computer! My cell rang about 6:20 his time and it was Frank. Praise all that is holy, he got it installed and Windows 10 recognized it! I nearly dropped to my knees, I was so relieved! But he still had a problem. He had downloaded the 50GB game, Metro Exodus, and after the movie intro, it wouldn't do anything - blank screen. I asked if he had installed the video card drivers from the disc that came with it and he said no. So I told him to install those drivers and call me back. So, I'm back on pins and needles! About 15 minutes later, he called back and told me his Metro game was up and running! This time I nearly wept I was so relieved! I will never forget these four words... "Grandma, I'm SO happy!" We talked a while and I told him how proud I was of him for being able to do this on his own and how it's when there are problems that you learn a lot. I had my son stand by just in case, but he told me had absolutely no idea what Frank was doing! I had gone into the women's bathroom so I could hear him and Dave said I looked like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders when I came back into the bar!

So, anyway, that's my computer building saga and I am one happy - and relieved - Grandma. PNY will take back the DOA video card and send me a new one. I need to upgrade my video card anyway, so it all worked out. Whew!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Re: Computer Building Saga

Post by Val » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:39 am

Well done Grandma and well done Frank!! There will be no stopping him now Drac! A lovely story - you must be so proud of him.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:58 am

Thumbs up to Frank for completing the task and to you, Drac, for being such a caring grandma! :thumbright:
We don’t get smarter as we get older. There is just less stupid stuff left that we haven’t already done.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:21 pm

What a terrific story, Drac! Not terrific because of all the hassle...but terrific because it had a happy ending. Kudos to you for teaching your grandson well! Kudos to your grandson for being such a fine student! Well done!
Last edited by JKEerie on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:32 am

I love that story! you're a good grandma.

Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Post by Kickaha » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Glad that saga had a great upbeat ending!

Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Stella » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:35 am

And you made a lasting memory that he will treasure forever! :)

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:36 pm

Drac, you have taught him well!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:58 pm

I hope so, RB! He sure must have absorbed more knowledge that even I realized!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.