Culpa Innata Review

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Culpa Innata Review

Postby danyboy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 pm

The Story:

The year is 2047. It is the golden age in mankind's evolution. For the first time in history, countries with significant resources have united under one World Union. In this utopian society, "survival of the fittest" takes its next inevitable step. Only the elite are deemed worthy to live under the World Union banner - the smartest, healthiest, and wealthiest. Forsaking the altruistic tendencies that have crippled individual development and economic progress in the past, the World Union has ushered in an unprecedented era of self-interest and fulfillment. Prosperity is a science, sex is entertainment, disease and capital crime are non-existent, and the future has never looked better.

But beneath a perfect world lies an unspeakable truth -- A truth that is ready to surface!

A World Union citizen is murdered in Russia, one of the few remaining Rogue States. This murder oddly coincides with the accidental death of a prominent professor in Adrianopolis, an important border town between the World Union and Russia. Peace Officer Phoenix Wallis is assigned to lead the investigation of the murder. Still young and inexperienced, she will soon make discoveries beyond her wildest imagination, as skilled hackers and subversive characters begin taking an inexplicable interest in Phoenix. Her investigation reveals enigmatic clues that lead her deeper and deeper into a mystery that challenges not only her case, but her very beliefs in the worldview she has sworn to protect.

Introduction:

Culpa Innata takes place in the future. What made the game interesting for me was that there was a lot to do. Learning how to use the PA (Personal Assistant) and all the programs in Phoenix’s computer was the most difficult part of the game.

The multiple mysteries will start to make sense as soon as you are able to make connections between them. The history of the World Union is much too involved to go into. However, one of things you can do is read the timeline of the history on the first floor of the GPSN (Global Peace and Security Network) offices. You learn more about the Union and its ideologies as the story progresses.

Puzzles and action sequences:

Many of you will be happy to know there aren’t any action sequences in the game. The game offers a nice variety of puzzles; some are easy and others very challenging. In the game you will find inventory-based and logic puzzles. The first two things you will have to get used to are the PA and Phoenix's computer. They will both help you a lot during the game.

Image Image

Graphics and gameplay:

Culpa Innata is a third person point and click adventure game. While the game is non-linear for the most part, you progress through days and are forced to go home to sleep to go forward in the game. Once you have the PA and have updated your Navigation Map, you can travel to a location by clicking on it. The PA contains Contact List, Inventory, Navigation Map, Diary and Game Controls. You right click to open or close.

Cursors are self-explanatory - arrow for move, mouth for talk, etc. There were places where the direction arrow would not appear due to the camera angle, but you can click to move forward until it appears. Exit does not prompt you to save. The game appears to have unlimited saves.

You get to interview inductees into the Union with a sophisticated lie-detector. The wrong questions affects the person and other events in the game. Right clicking on the guard at the interview room door gives you the rules for conducting interviews.

Although you can click on and examine numerous items in each scene (with little conversational asides from Phoenix), you will not pick up unnecessary inventory. When you go out at night you can change clothes by using a interactive closet, but during the day you are back in the same outfit - your GPSN uniform.

The graphics are average and nothing out of the ordinary, but the futuristic look of the interiors is interesting. Some of the destinations are well done, and the colorful face animation makes excellent use of Momemtum’s patent pending 3-D face animation.

Music:

Music is also average, but it fits the style of the game well.

Image Image

Dialogue:

The game is dialogue driven. The World Union rules dictate how often you can talk to a person in a day and how many questions you can ask. The dialogue box gives you the option to decide how the conversation will go, but you need to be careful of what you choose or the dialogue will end. Then you will have to come back another time to finish the discussion. Some locations are added as they are triggered by the dialogue.

Some of the voices of the characters we encounter during the gameplay are a bit annoying, but the voice of the main character we are playing is well chosen and fits the character well. Warning: Be careful if you usually skip some dialogue in a game. I did that once and and missed some information about a place I already had been to. The information opened another destination, but I didn’t know this as I didn’t listen to that particular dialogue option. I had to replay that part.

Bugs and/or patches:

danyboy: I didn’t encounter any bugs. However, the game isn’t very ALT/TAB friendly. After installation, the game is playable without the CD.

Angelfire: The game crashed on me one time, I'm not sure why but it was probably just my computer. I had not saved and lost all the progress I had made. I was just letting you know that it did in case you needed the information.

Computer Specifications:

Minimal requirements:

Windows 2000, XP, Vista
Intel Pentium III 800 MHz, AMD Athlon XP1600+
512 MB System RAM
128 MB Video Card
DirectX 9.0c
Windows Compatible Sound Card
3.5 Gb free hard drive space
DVD Player

Recommended Configuration:

Windows 2000, XP, Vista
Intel Pentium IV 3.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1024 MB System RAM
512 MB video Card
DirectX 9.0c
Windows Compatible Sound Card
3.5 Gb free hard drive space
DVD Player

danyboy computer specifications:

Windows XP SP2
RAM: 1024 MB
Sound: Onboard Sound Controller
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz Processor
Disk Space : 16.63 GB
DirectX 9.0c

Angelfire computer specifications:

Windows XP Professional
AMD Athlon XP3000 Processor
2.10 Ghz
512 MB RAM
68 GB hard Drive
Radeon 9200 Display Adaptor

Image Image

Closing statement:

The suspense was good and the game was a decent and smooth futuristic police investigation. The PA and the computer were helpful and fun to use. I can’t say that I predicted the ending of the game and I was actually quite surprised. The developer left the possibility open for a sequel with two mysteries without endings.

So if you care to become a citizen of the Union, come on in. Peace Officer Phoenix Wallis is ready to conduct your admission interview. But remember - don’t lie to her.

Official Website:

Culpa Innata

danyboy & Angelfire

Thanks you to Ghostlady, Draclvr, Hawkavonpuka, LadyK and Angelfire for the help they gave me.
Darleen
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Culpa Innata Review

Postby Darleen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks, danyboy

That review was right on the money...the game crashed on me also...

But I did enjoy it... :cheers:
=^---^=

Luv
Dar :wave:
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks Darleen!

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Katsmom » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:00 pm

I just have to post about my experience playing Culpa Innata. I absolutely love this game! :cheers: I played it four times... and I don't remember playing any adventure game four times before. This game is created for replaying, in that you get a 'score' at the end. You don't know exactly what you're being graded on... but the game gives you hints about what's expected of your character, Phoenix. I scored a 90 on my first game. I was upset when I only scored an 89 on my second... and third replays of the game. :roll: So I played it a fourth time, doing and/or not doing the things I thought were important... and finally scored a 97. :sunny:

I'm greatly looking forward to the sequel of Culpa Innata, which is definitely coming in the future. :bgb

I did experience some technical issues, mostly connected to right-clicking to skip dialog or cutscenes. I found one spot in the game where you can get stuck in one spot, with no movement possible. I had to go back to a saved game to continue. This spot is in the Stardust nightclub, on one of your last visits. After you complete the puzzle on the stage... don't go back up on the stage and look at the wooden relief again!

The toughest game puzzle was... installing it. It took a very long time for my CD/DVD drive to recognize the game disk and finally start the installation process; then, when I clicked to start the game... it surprised me by demanding I enter a code. I bought the game new in the store, so I was sure the secret code had to be around somewhere... but I couldn't find it! I found no instructions for this on the box, or in the manual, and no code was printed on the DVD. I was sure this was the game creators' sense of humor, in making us complete a puzzle just to launch the game. :? Then I found the answer. The secret code was printed on the back page of the printed manual! I knew it was the code, because the format fit the boxes on my computer screen. So be warned, those of you who might buy the game used. If you don't get the manual with the code, you'll be out of luck!

Edit note: I was able to use Alt/Tab and/or press the Windows key while playing without any problems. I played the game on Windows Vista Ultimate. Maybe it depends on the OS? Also, the game does limit your Saves. There are only 48 slots available, which you can overwrite. I used around 150 saves each time I played. It's a very long game.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Happy that you loved it Katsmom, it was a nice game!

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you

Return to “Review or Rate Games”