Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Postby Katsmom » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi manorites. Like many of you, I was frustrated not being able to play older adventure games. I have a Windows XP desktop computer and a fairly new Vista Ultimate laptop. I decided to try Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 on my Vista laptop. A good friend bought me a licensed installation disk for Windows 98SE for Christmas. :cool:

I had some problems at first, mostly due to the fact that my Vista has a 64 bit operating system (with a 32 bit subsystem). But I was finally able to get the Windows 98 disk to install inside a "virtual machine/computer" inside my Vista computer. :D

It's so awesome to see this... a window on my Vista desktop, which contains a Windows 98SE desktop and entirely separate operating system. When you choose to use Full Screen mode, you're staring back in time at a Windows 98 desktop. What a great invention!

I've installed and started playing Amber: Journeys Beyond... and it's working. The only problem is that I have to set my Vista desktop to the same 640 x 480 screen resolution and 16 bit color that the game uses in the Windows 98 'virtual machine.' Also, the sound is a little scratchy, but okay. I think the video and sound issues are due to the laptop having chipsets rather than video and audio cards.

I'll report how things go, as I continue to use Virtual PC to play Amber... and next (I hope), Lighthouse. I couldn't get Lighthouse to play on my XP, despite following Inferno's detailed setup.

Virtual PC 2007 is not compatible with every 'host' operating system, but they also have an earlier version of the application which works on others.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:09 pm

Wow, that's really something. Yes, please keep us informed how it goes.
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Oh wow, Katsmom - this sounds too good to be true. Please keep us updated.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Good for you Katsmom, I played Amber on an old Windows 98 laptop and the sound was very scratchy. I plugged in a pair of earphones and the sound was so much better.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us Katsmom.

CU

danyboy :)
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Very cool, Katsmom! I was wondering if you had attempted that installation yet. I agree with Hawka; the sound to me was a tiny bit scratchy on my 98SE computer too and sounded much better with earphones. I think I'm the one who still has your old Amber game, Hawka.

I can't wait to find out how Lighthouse goes. That was such a great game.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
salma
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Re: Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Postby salma » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:35 pm

I tried Virtual PC 2004...which is free.
you can learn all about it here :

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArt ... C+2004+FAQ

Few weeks ago i had a couple of very old PC games that wont play on XP no matter what...

I tried every thing ( and i can be very Patient when trying to configure a game to work), i waisted two weeks trying to make the games work with no vail..
:bang angry9: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

Finaly i decided i'll install Win98 (which is a major pain to be installed over XP), and that's when i found Steve's corner and learned about Virtual PC.
It took me only 30 min to understand and install virtual PC...and after one hour i was playing the games.
:occasion9: :love5:

It's a great great program...i suggest you download the 2004 version since it's free...
The only drawback is that you are going to need your 98 or 95 windows CD to install the system on the Virtual PC.

It's a must have for old adventure games lovers.
Speak when you're angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Excellent, Salma! Doesn't it feel good to finally get something to work. That's a great resource and thank you for the links...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:54 am

I don't know if I will ever get around to using this, but I did save the link. I don't have old old games, but some like Mystery of the Nautilus and Myst Exile that probably won't play on XP. I started them on ME, but then switched my computers to XP. I do have windows 95 and 98 legal cd's stuffed away in a tote. If I ever catch up on my games, not that it is likely cause I now play RPG's, but you never know. Can this link be stuck/stickied where it won't vanish into lala land?
What kind of magic spell to use?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:22 am

Why don't we make a sticky post for it in the Technical Help forum?
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:05 am

Can you sticky it Draclvr, or does that have to be done by an Admin, I sure wouldn't know how. I think it should be done though.
What kind of magic spell to use?
Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Katsmom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Salma, I'm glad you were able to install and use Virtual PC 2004. Both versions are free, though you have to buy the OS installation disk you want to use with the program. I had to use the 2007 version because I have a Windows Vista computer. Some models of XP can use the 2007 version, but most have to use the 2004 version.

Since I last posted this topic, I've used Virtual PC to play Lighthouse. It worked perfectly, from start to finish, and no patches were needed. I think this is the best free program available on the internet... and the ideal answer for those of us who want to play older games on newer computers. :cat:
Katsmom
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Katsmom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 pm

I hope this works. I'm going to insert a screenshot of Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 on my Windows Vista computer. It shows the main desktop for Vista in the background, with a completely separate Windows 98SE desktop in the foreground. :cool:

Okay, it's showing up in the Preview... so I think everyone will be able to see it. :cat:
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Katsmom, that is just incredible! I am so dreading having to go with Vista in my next PC. But your experience has made me feel much better. I'm hoping to build a computer sometime after I retire next year.

By the way, welcome back! You've been missed...
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:44 pm

Katsmom, happy to see you back my friend. Is Virtual PC simple to install? Cause my French brain isn't to good with English technical suff. I also have Vista as an OS on the new putor. I already have Windows 98SE that was the OS of my first putor. I'm just worry that I will do something wrong since I don't understand too much the English technical stuff.

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you

Return to “Technical Help”