Everlight Magic & Power review

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Everlight Magic & Power review

Postby danyboy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:25 pm

The Story:

Everlight Magic & Power is a stirring adventure in a fascinating world!

With a candle’s last breath, journey to a world of magic and mystery. Accompanied by your personal fairy guide, explore the world of Everlight and discover your magical talents lying dormant within.

The inhabitants of the village of Tallen are cursed. By day, they go about their business and live their lives. By night, they become their polar opposite personality, and their lives are turned upside down! Empowered with the ability to function both during the day and at night, you are Tallen’s only hope to lift the curse.

Introduction:

A teenage boy named Melvin is caught in a storm and finds refuge in a strange candle shop. The owner plays a game with him and then makes him an offer he can't refuse - to discover his magical destiny.

Melvin is then teleported to a strange city where magic is part of everyone's life and modern times exist alongside antiquities. Melvin's first step will be to find his guide, a friendly elf named Fiona. Then he must rid the inhabitants of the city of the curse that has been cast upon them. The curse transforms them completely and makes them do things they would never do otherwise.

Melvin is a bit of a spoiled brat, but no need to worry. Fiona is a perfect match and can be just as mean to him as he is to her. They make quite an entertaining team. Even if the hero in the game is a teenager, the game itself is for mature audiences because of sexual references and some bad language.

Graphics and Gameplay:

Everlight Magic & Power is a third person point-and-click adventure game. Pressing the "ESC" key brings up the main menu where you can select New Game, Continue, Save Game, Load a Game, the settings, the credits, and Exit the Game.

Before starting you will have to select one of four levels of difficulty. The different levels determine the number of hints you want to have during the gameplay. You can use several helpful keys from the keyboard. "H" will show you all the hotspots, "G" shows the items only, and "E" shows all the exits. There is also a hint feature called Fiona's Notes that you can access by pressing F1. You can also skip the dialogues by using the left mouse button.

Scrolling the cursor at the bottom of the screen will bring up an inventory section that includes inventory items with a small arrow for moving through the inventory, a map icon and, a bit later in the game, a half sun, half moon icon that will allow you to switch between daytime and nighttime any time you want. You can also combine inventory items by clicking on one item, scrolling down to another, and clicking on that item. To use an inventory item, click on the item and then click on the character or object you want to use it on. If you want more information about an item, just right-click on it.

As far as the gameplay goes, the scenery is beautiful. There are not very many places to go, but since you can see them during both daytime and nighttime, there is always a little something different to see each time. Clouds, moonlight, shadows and the natural surroundings all look great.

One of the most difficult things to decide is whether things need to be done during the day or at night. During your investigation to remove the curse from the city, you will also need to do several small side quests that will help you in your main quest of banishing the curse.

Even if you need to dig deep to find out what your next step should be, the game is pretty easy. The story isn't bad, but along the way the main plot got lost when a small quest becomes more important than the main quest. Humor is everywhere, but sometimes you get the impression that something got lost in the translation.

Puzzles:

All the puzzles are inventory based. The selection of dialogue can also trigger other events, so be sure to go through them and even ask some of the questions again later in the game or you might miss some important things. Some items must also be combined in the inventory to make new objects. Most of the combination items are logical, and occasionally you even get some information about them in the game.

Interesting facts about the game:

- Auto save system

- Friendly and easy to use inventory system

Dialogue and Sound:

The game dialogues are a major factor in the game, so listen carefully because sometimes a clue to what you should do next is given by a character you are talking to. Fiona, your elf guide, sometimes gives clues, and she can be very helpful. The voices selected for the characters are excellent and help bring the characters to life. Unfortunately, the mouths aren't very well synchronized with the voices. The music is somewhat repetitious as you hear the same things over and over. There aren't many sound effects, and they are average.

Bugs and/or Patches:

I didn’t encounter any bugs, but the game did crash on me once, and I lost some of the things I had done previously.

Computer Specifications:

System Requirements:

Minimal:

CPU: 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon
RAM: 1 GB
Disk Space: 4 GB Available
Video Card: DirectX® 9.0 Compatible (Radeon x800, GeForce 6800)
Sound: DirectX® 9.0 Compatible
DVD-ROM: 4x
DirectX: 9.0c
Input: Keyboard, Mouse and 5.1 Speakers

My computer specifications:

RAM: 3072 MB
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo 3.00 Go
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Sound: Onboard Sound Controller
Disk space: 1st 211 Go and 2nd 253 Go
DirectX 10.0c

Closing Statement:

The game is short and easy, the characters are beautiful, and the scenery is well done. Humor is everywhere, but it sometimes left me scratching my head. Even if the main theme is magic, there isn't much of it around. Each character has his or her own private curse to deal with, and no one remembers what they did the night before. There are several sexual references, but nothing offensive. After all these people are cursed!

The characters Farida and Laura are voluptuous and gorgeous, but if Laura is a teenager, I'm 99 years old. The graphics are great, and switching between day and night makes the game's locations different somehow. The story could have been better. More details were needed to make the story stick together.
If you want to have a good time without doing too much hard thinking and hard puzzles, this game is for you. It is also affordable at $20.

Official Websites:

The Adventure Company

The Games Company

Daniel (aka danyboy)

Thanks Draclvr, Ghostlady, LadyK, Angelfire and all of those who helped me with this review.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Everlight Magic & Power review

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:51 pm

Very nice job, DB! :thumleft:
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks for the review, DB.

How short is "short"??
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:21 am

After helping put a few finishing touches on this review, I was anxious to see it with the screenshots. I had never heard of this one before danyboy did the review. Sounds like an fun little romp...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:45 am

I always love it when the screen shots are added :D
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:33 am

Rosaboobie wrote:Thanks for the review, DB.

How short is "short"??

8 to 10 hours, thanks all!

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you

Return to “Review or Rate Games”