Movies Watched in 2009

Discuss your viewing preferences here!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Movies Watched in 2009

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:43 am

Because the other thread is getting unwieldy, I'm going to start a new one here for our reviews of the movies we will watch in 2009. I look forward to everyone's contributions. Since I'm setting up a weekly movie night for myself, I hope to have something to add once in a while, too.
There's no such thing as too many books!
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Re: Movies Watched in 2009

Postby danyboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 pm

Hancock
release date: July 2, 2008

In this movie Will Smith played the role of a wisecracking, homeless, alcoholic superhero who saved the life of an enterprising PR executive who’s only dream is to remodel and rehabilitate his hero. The task wont be easy because our Super Hero ‘’Hancock’’ is really secure with his bad boy status and he wont make the task easy for his image savior (Ray Embrey). Embrey is determined to rehabilitate the bad boy Hancock, clean up his image, and make him into a true hero wich the world can adore but is it really what Hancock wants, you will have to watch the movie to know that.

My thoughts about the movie: I watched this movie one DVD last week and first of all I'm a big Super hero movies fan and was a bit disapointed with it. A lot of Déjà vue. The story wasn't bad but some questions were not answered. Will Smith is very good in those comedies and gives a lot of credibility to the character (Hancock). There wasn't any big bad vilains, only small town naughty boys who were more funny than scary. Some of the humor used in the movie were humor of bad taste and it's isn't a movie for small children, sex references, swearings etc... But the movie was fun to watch, a lot of laughs on the menu. I wich it could had been better and that we could had learn a bit more about where the super hero was coming from, the reason given in the movie about why he as those super powers was very ridiculous.

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby Sneaker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Simply Irresistible
Amanda Shelton is the cook of a small restaurant that runs in the family for many years. Only Amanda can't cook as well as her mom and the restaurant is about to close it doors. But that's about to change when she meets a mysterious man. He sells her a basket filled with crabs and leads her to Tom Barlett, a handsome and rich owner of a big department store.

I've watched this movie a lot of times before, but the last time was a few years back. Last time I tought it was great. A wonderful romantic comedy. And noW? Now I still finds it a wonderful, romantic comedy.

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Sean Patrick Flanery steal the show. It's a great couple to look at and the chemistry is clearly feelable between them. Some scene's are shot fantastic (the dansscene's) and the music the choose fits the music perfectly. At some moments it almost felt as magical as the dishes Gellar prepared.

The only thing I didn't like was a part of the story. Everything was perfect in the beginning. Sure it was predictable, but because it was so fun and charming, I didn't mind. The there is a beautiful scene with Gellar and Flanery, who are deeply in love, kissing without noticing that they are floating in the air. Then there is a turn from Flanery that damage the movie. There are accusations of witchcraft on Gellars account. This didn't fit the movie at all and was completely unnecessairy. Of course, you know how the movie is going to end and it regain that almost magical en romantic atmosphere from the beginning. But that turn is not convincing either. And they also should have dropped the scene in which everybody is crying. Movie doesn't need it and it was pretty annoying.

But oh well, it still is a wonderful, romantic comedy that I can watch againa and again.

---------

BTW. I don't know if it is allowed her, if not, please remove it. A friend of mine has made a site called What I Watch. It is a site in which you can add all the movies and series that you have watched. You can give them a grade (out of 10) or just add a review. This way you have a very nice list of which movies you have watched and compare them to what other people think of them. There are a lot of statistics and you can even add your dvd collection (or blu-ray or many other options) to the site. It is really useful and an easy and fun way to keep track of what you have watched. Maybe a nice tool for all the movie freaks in the manor. It used to be a Dutch only site, but now he translated it to English.

The site is: WhatIWatch.net

Click here to see an overview of everything I have watched since 2007. Believe it or not, the other users watch way, way more then I do.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Moderator @ Adventure-Island.nl
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby danyboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Great site Sneaker, thanks a lot!

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Lucien21 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:37 am

Sneaker wrote:BTW. I don't know if it is allowed her, if not, please remove it. A friend of mine has made a site called What I Watch. It is a site in which you can add all the movies and series that you have watched. You can give them a grade (out of 10) or just add a review. This way you have a very nice list of which movies you have watched and compare them to what other people think of them. There are a lot of statistics and you can even add your dvd collection (or blu-ray or many other options) to the site. It is really useful and an easy and fun way to keep track of what you have watched. Maybe a nice tool for all the movie freaks in the manor. It used to be a Dutch only site, but now he translated it to English.

Click here to see an overview of everything I have watched since 2007. Believe it or not, the other users watch way, way more then I do.

Cool, looks like a decent site.. I know that I started to use IMDB to track my viewing habits and have always used DVD Profiler to keep track of my collection. Like anything though it's remembering to keep it up to date that is tricky.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:43 am

I hope the site is useful for you (if you decide to use it).

I use imdb mostly to look up information about a movie. What I didn't like is that a lot of people don't grade the movies they watch honestly. If they like it, a 10, if they don't like it a 1. I understand that some people don't like a movie, but how on earth can 11,868 people give The Dark Knight a 1. It was a great movie. Not as great as the 191,416 thought the movie was. But appearantly giving 1's and 10's is the only way to influence the average.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:29 am

Many people don't take time to weigh the pros and cons of a movie like you do, Sneaker. That's why we like your reviews here. :thumleft:
There's no such thing as too many books!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for spawning a new thread Lady Kestrel! Frightening to see how many movies Sneaker sees, and then read he says others watch far more!

Thanks for posting about that site Sneaker, something like that could be very useful to me.

I don't trust averages as a way of working out the best movie / game / book etc. Better to find someone whose opinion seems to tally with yours, and go by what they say.
Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Sophie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:55 pm

MR BROOKS
Earl Brooks (Kevin Costner) is an upstanding business owner and family man, recently honored as the Portland, Oregon Chamber of Commerces Man of the Year (the movie itself was filmed in Shreveport, Louisiana). In his secret life, Brooks is a serial killer, encouraged by his id, manifested as a gleefully sadistic alter ego he refers to as "Marshall" (William Hurt) whom only Brooks can see or hear (conversely, no one can hear him talk to Marshall). While he has refrained from killing for the last two years, Brooks feels the urge rising once again and, spurred on by Marshall, murders a couple in their home. Despite killing them before noticing that their curtains are open, Brooks follows his meticulous modus operandi, cleaning up the crime scene (and later cleaning the car he drove to the murder scene and burning his clothes and pictures he took of the victims) before departing. As part of his pathology, he leaves each of the victims' bloody thumbprints on a lampshade.......

I found it very strange to like and feel sorry for the character, Mr. Brooks,considering he was a villain, but it does show how well Kevin Costner played his role.
To reveal more of the plot would, I feel, spoil the storyline as there were some interesting twists and turns. Costner and Hurt are joined by a very able cast, Demi Moore, Marg Helgenberger and Dane Cook.

My rating 8/10
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 pm

HOW ABOUT YOU tells the story of Ellie, a young woman left in charge of the residential home run by her older sister, over the Christmas period. Whilst most of the residents have left to spend the festive period with their families, four residents, known as 'the hardcore' remain. Their behavior is so terrible that the home faces closure as potential new residents are put off by their appalling antics.

The movie was made in Ireland which has produced some real gems recently (anyone see "The Commitments"?) It stars Joss Ackland, Vanessa Redgrave, Imelda Staunton and Brenda Fricker, a cast for which there aren't enough superlatives. Of course, it's a Christmas movie and has a happy ending and we both had a smile on our face when it was over.
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:34 am

Sorry LadyKestrel, I guess I still had the old thread bookmarked. I'll post it here to. Last movie I watched:

Nightmare Before Christmas
Jack Skellington is the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town. But he is bored with this holiday. Every year the same. He decides to go for a walk. By accident, he discovers a tree. This tree is a secret passage to Christmas Town. He is so impressed, that he decides that this year, Halloween will be replaced with Christmas. But this does't go as planned.

To be honest, the story is a bit of a letdown for me. And I don't know why. Maybe because of my high expectations, or maybe because it starts slow. But other then that, there is not much to complain. There are lot of funny scenes, but the movie is also a bit more serious in the right places. And there are so much details, that a second watch is mandatory. Even if it's only to enjoy the next point.

It's incredible how fantastic the movie looks with the stop-motion technic. It's so excellently done, that you barely notice it. Just like with Pixar movies, I didn't feel like I was watching dolls. And the whole grim, dark style just looks gorgeous and really appeals to me. From the strange buildings, the wonderful Christmas world to the bizar characters. Everything looks fantastic, great to look at and it is clear that they put a lot of time in it (which is obvious with the technic they used).

The music is fantastic too, but I'm not used to anything less from Danny Elfman. It just fits prefect with the things you see and it shows a perfect atmosphere. The songs are very catchy too. Some songs remains in your head for a couple of days and the excellent cast of voices sings them great. The voices fits the characters and brings everything to live in a credible way.

In short, a wonderful movie. I loved the beautiful things you see, hear and the beautiful world they created.

Wimli
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost

Postby Wimli » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Sneaker wrote:BTW. I don't know if it is allowed her, if not, please remove it. A friend of mine has made a site called What I Watch. It is a site in which you can add all the movies and series that you have watched. You can give them a grade (out of 10) or just add a review. This way you have a very nice list of which movies you have watched and compare them to what other people think of them. There are a lot of statistics and you can even add your dvd collection (or blu-ray or many other options) to the site. It is really useful and an easy and fun way to keep track of what you have watched. Maybe a nice tool for all the movie freaks in the manor. It used to be a Dutch only site, but now he translated it to English.

That's a great website idd! I have been using it for a while now too (see signature). Very fun to find plenty of opinions on movies quickly, find people with similar tastes and thereby learn about movies you might like as well. And thanks for your review on Simply Irresistible, Sneaker. Should check it out, I simply adooore Sarah Michelle Gellar!
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Che - Part One

A Biopic in 2 parts about the Argentinian born Ernesto 'Che' Guevara directed by Stephen Soderbergh.

The movie is framed as flashbacks to an interview he gave in America in 1964 while speaking at the UN. We then begin the story in Mexico as he meets Fidel Castro and then crosses the gulf of mexico with 82 men to begin a revolution in Cuba to oust the US backed dictator Batista.

We see how he transforms from a Doctor to a leader of the revolution as they fight in the mountains and gradually build an army as they head for Havana.

The finale of part one is a gripping street by street battle in Santa Clara the last big battle of the revolution.

The film completely hangs on the shoulders of Benicio Del Toro as 'Che' as he is ever present on the screen. Del Toro pulls it off in style with a mesmorising performance.

Unfortunatly it's not a perfect movie. The black and white parts at the UN and the interview are not as interesting as the action on Cuba and I kept being annoyed by the interruption. It jumps straight to Cuba so you son't get anything about his early life or how he ended up in Cuba (Maybe that comes in part 2 which would make these films the wrong way round) The movie also ends at a strange point after the battle.

However it is some beautiful scenery, a nice piece of history and a compelling portrayal by Benicio Del Toro that will make me come back for Part 2.

8/10
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Glad you find the site useful Wimli.

Santa's Slay
Santa isn't a friendly jolly guy. He actually is the son of the devil. The only reason why he gives present to kids all those years, is because he lost a bet. He has to be a good guy for 1000 years. Now it is 2005 and the bet is finished. Santa is out for blood and revenge.

My little sister said that as a fan of the horror genre and American (show)wrestling (Bill Goldberg is in this movie), I would probably enjoy it. Unfortunately, I can't say that I did. I wasn't really bad, but I can't call it good either

The idea of this movie is very original (Santa = Satan) and it could have been a fun movie. Problem is that the makers couldn't decide between a horror movie and a comedy. The kills are too tame and not gory enough for a horrorfilm (even though some are nice) and the movie is not funny enough for a comedy. There are some funny moments and especially the some kills. But on both places, they could have done a lot more. Or just choose one genre. For example. The kills are accompanied with happy (christmas) music that didn't fit at all.

So the idea of the movie is very good. But the rest isn't. Of course it's predictable and the movie contradicts itself about how long Santa's bet lasts. They said 1000 years (starting 1005), but the book in the openingscredits said it begin in 1065. Oh well, not that terrible. There are bigger problems. From big plotholes and stupid characters to dumb dialog and a terrible ending. Of course you know how the movie is going to end and who will survive, but Santa does things he could have done a lot easier. Especially when your evil Santa and have special powers. Take the end for example. It's terrible. Like most horror movies, they have some sort of open ending. But her it changes nothing in the end. Next year, Santa can just come back and finish his revenge. And Santa (the musculair Goldberg) can easy finish the two off, even without powers. And a curling match? Serious?

Actingwise, it's a letdown too. Most characters are over-the-top annoying. Goldberg is pretty good as Santa, but Emilie de Ravin (mostly known from Lost) steals teh show. This makes her scenes with the unsympathatic and uninteresting lead actor more enjoyable.

Not a good movie, but there are some fun things in there and Emilie de Ravin saves a lot. Too bad, a lot more could have been done here and the idea is very good and original.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Return To Sender
Charlotte Cory is a young woman who is waiting for her execution. During her time on death row, she build up a friendship, by post, with Frank Nitzche. In reality however, Frank sells the last letter of the prisoners to the highest bidder. While her time is running out, and her lawyer is doing everything to keep her alive, Frank decides to visit Charlotte. Just to make sure he will be getting her final letter. But after his meeting, he feels that there is more to this story and decides to help her lawyer, before it is to late.

An interesting and captivating story. I have to admit that it is a shame that it doesn't give anything new in comparison to othere movies with the same subject. Every possible cliche is follows and because of this, there are no surprises. Something I was hoping for. A twist could have given the movie something extra. There are also some big plot holes in the story which annoyed me. I also didn't like the three masked men in the beginning. It began very nice, small and subtile with a prisoner that is lead the way to the chair. But then the masked men comes in. It ruined the moment for me. Appearently this is custom in America, but I think it didn't fit the movie and it didn't fit the moment.

Even though, the movie knew to captivate me. Mostly thanks to the acting. This is very good and credible from almost the whole cast. Especially Connie Nielsen and Kelly Preston are excellent. Aidan Quinn is good too, but sometimes a bit boring. He talks so slow and it really helps his character. He's a bit unsympathic too, making money of someone elses death. There is also some agent that really didn't fit in the movie, but his part isn't that big. The cast make sure there characters credible and that keeps it interesting.

So while there are some things to criticise about the story, the credible cast kept my attention and I was interested till the end.

Nightbreed
Aaron Boone have terrible nightmare about awful monsters in a gruwsome place called Midian. He pay a visit to his shrink who tells him that he is responsible for the many murders that took place in the last couple of days. He sends Aaron away with a bottle of drugs. Because of this, Boone gets hit by a truck and get into the hospital. When another patient tells him about Midian, Boone decides to go to the source of his nightmares.

I haven't read any of the comics or stories from Clive Barker (so I haven't read the story from this movie either). Years ago I have seen some of the Hellraiser movies and the video game Undying was pretty scary back then. So I was curious about this movie and I thought it was very good and exciting.

Let's start with the biggest problem of this movie. The story. It is good and all, but a lot of things are wrong. There is hardly any build-up, some scene's feeled hasty and are incoherent (the scene before the last scene), characters don't get enough time (Detective Joyce) and I was left with a lot of questions. And I can hardly blame the movie for it. The Studio had been cutting a lot and changed many things. Because of this, a lot of material has been lost (around 25 minutes) and that is very noticeable. This is the only stain on this great movie. I hope they manage to find the lost material back in the vaults of Fox so they can release a DC. It would really benefit the movie.

The acting is overall pretty good. Especially Cronenberg who is brilliant as a sick psychopat and maybe the biggest monster of the movie. Hugh Quarshie is very good to as Detective Joyce, but because of the many cuts, not much is left of his part. Because of this, I didn't really understood his final scene. He looked like the only human (together with Lori) who wasn't a monster. You can hardly see this back in the movie. Same as the motives of Cronenberg. But the many cuts and changes is to blame for that. Furthermore is Sheffer good as Boone and Anne Bobby as Lori a bit plain and uninteresting. The rest of the people are sterotopical bastards, which was great. Theye are mostly there to serve as the criticism that people are the biggest monsters. And that works great.

But of course it's all about the monsters. Overall, there excellent. Some are pretty awesome and very creative. Unfortunatly, some look terrible. One even reminded me of Jeff Dunhams José Jalapeño (on a Stick). But most are fantastic and especially in the last (almost epic) fightingscene, this really shows. The biggest monster however is and will remain David Cronenberg as the twisted Dr. Philip K. Decker (with an terrifying and absolutly awesome mask). What a brilliant psychopath. He really stealed the show. Fantastic. Too bad that his character isn't that overruling in the end fight. Expected more (but this could be the blame of the many cuts and changes. But in the rest of the movie he is just a brilliant and coldhearthed monster. Everything is accompanied by the wonderful music of Elfman and this fits the movie perfectly.

Even though this is a very good movie, the many cuts have really hurt the movie. I hope that an DC will ever be made. The movie deserves it. Oh, and Cronenberg rules.

Return to “Movies & Television”