So Blonde review

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

So Blonde review

Postby danyboy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:03 pm

The Story:

Blonde? Of course!

She’s young, she’s pretty and she has rich parents: Sunny Blonde doesn’t really have a care in the world. The 17-year old beauty from the USA is on a luxurious cruise ship with her parents on its way across the Atlantic when a giant storm suddenly blows up and the ship gets in trouble. Sunny faints and wakes up again on a fantastic sandy beach under palms trees – all on her own.

It is very difficult for Sunny to accept that she has to do without all the world's luxury goods: Her cell-phone has no reception, her make-up is out of place, and the next shopping mall seems to be at least a long march away. But that's not enough: Unfortunate circumstances have transported Sunny several centuries back into the past and she has landed right in the era of pirates and bucccaneers...

Accompany Sunny on a fun adventure where you will meet crazy characters and master ludicrous challenges. Help Sunny escape from the enchanted island – without disturbing her hairstyle of course!

Introduction:

Sunny is a blonde teenager and she has nothing to do with the stereotype that blondes are dumb. At first most of you will see her as a spoiled teenager, but my opinion about her changed during the gameplay. She evolved and became an intelligent and generous person. Sunny is aboard a cruise boat when suddenly a big storm rides the boat like hell on earth. She is thrown overboard and wakes up on the beach of a pirate island on which the inhabitants live as people did centuries ago. There is no beauty salon, no shopping center, no TV and not even a phone to call her parents. This is really hell for a modern teenager like Sunny.

As the story progresses, Sunny encounters several interesting characters including Morgane, the beautiful captain of a pirate ship who is the complete opposite of Sunny. Morgane is a strong woman who isn't afraid of anything. Then there is Juan, the mayor of the island, who loves to write poetry. And Max is a strange beast that most people are unable to see. Captain One-Eye, the pirate dictator, runs the island like he owns it. His sidekick Diablo and many others you will like speaking to keep the game interesting.

Sunny decides to deliver the inhabitants of the island from the domination of Captain One-Eye and give them a much better life. Her task won't be easy and there are surprises waiting around every corner.

Graphics and Gameplay:

So Blonde is a third person point and click adventure game. In the Main Menu, you can find: New game, Load, Options and Bonus that will become available when you are done playing the game all the way through and Quit. You can access the in-game menu by pressing the ESC key and will find Resume Game, Options, Load Game, Save Game and Quit. In the Save Game section you can make a quick save or save the game by pressing New and then writing the description that you want. A lot of Save Game slots are available and you can overwrite them if you want.

Several cursors are available. Feet will show you that you can walk this way, an eye will show you that there is something to take a look at, a hand indicates that there is something to pick up, an arrow will point you to the direction you can go, and a mouth shows you that you can talk to someone. You can switch to the eye, mouth and hand cursor by right clicking the cursors.

By pressing the Space Bar key you can see all the hotspots. In the game you can access the inventory by scrolling the cursor at the bottom of the screen. Inventory items can also be combined; just scroll them from one to another to get the combination. Inventory items can also be used individually by clicking on them and dragging them where they are needed.

Steve Ince (Broken Sword games, Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso and many other projects he worked on) was responsible for the story writing and some game design in So Blonde. The cartoonish hand-painted backgrounds are in 2D and are very colorful with a lot of details and things to pick up or look at. The scenery is very alive and includes a lot of places to explore. There is always something popping up, like a periscope coming out of a swamp or a small poster coming out from a hole in the floor. The characters are well drawn and very beautiful, especially Sunny and Morgane. At some points in the game you will be able to play as two other characters, Juan the mayor and Max, Sunny’s pet friend.

You have the option of a map to see the progression from one place to another. Unfortunately, you can't use it to move from place to place. You will need to walk and there is a lot of that. At one point in the game you receive a map from a character which never seems to have any purpose.

Puzzles:

Most of the puzzles are arcade style mini-games. Some of them are very difficult unless you are like me and are used to keyboard gaming. But, lucky you! You can auto-win and not get stuck in the game. In these games, you will have to catch fireflies, raindrops in a coconut shell, and chop wood to start a fire. The mini-game graphics aren't as good as the rest of the game. They are more like the arcade games we played several years ago. There is also one slider that is difficult because you need to find the right spot for each square which makes the story more believable. A lock puzzle is also very challenging and there are a couple more classic puzzles and some inventory based puzzles.

Interesting facts about the game:

- Beautiful graphics

- Some challenging puzzles

- A great story

Dialogue and sound:

Some events are triggered by the dialogue, so you need to go through all of them if you don’t want to get stuck for no good reason. The soundtrack is very forgettable with nothing outstanding and it's even a bit boring at some points in the game. The dialogue between the characters is very interesting and entertaining and will help you understand more about why people are living on this beautiful island. Voice acting is quite good. Sound effects are a bit repetitive and more variety would had been appreciated here.

Bugs and/or Patches:

There is a patch is available for the game. I didn’t use it and I didn’t encounter any bugs.

Computer Specifications:

System Requirements:

Minimum:

Windows 2000/XP/Vista
Pentium 1.6GHz
512 MB RAM
64 MB DirectX 9-compliant video card
DirectX 9-compliant sound card
DirectX 9.0c or above
3 GB free hard disk space
DVD-Rom drive
Windows-compatible keyboard & mouse

Recommended:

Windows 2000/XP/Vista
Pentium 2GHz
512 MB RAM for 2000/XP, 1024 MB RAM for Vista
128 MB DirectX 9-compliant video card
DirectX 9-compliant sound card
DirectX 9.0c or above
3 GB free hard disk space
DVD-Rom drive
Windows-compatible keyboard & mouse

My computer specifications:

RAM: 3072 MB
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo 3.00 Go
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Sound: Onboard Sound Controller
Disk space: 1st 221Go and 2nd 266 Go
DirectX 10.0c

Closing Statement:

The game has some very beautiful graphics, interesting and attractive characters, a well written story and some challenging puzzles. It isn’t what we would call an easy game. The level of difficulty contributes to making the game very long, but don’t worry; it won't become boring. It took me around 15 hours to finish the game. My only complaint is the mini-games. There are too many of them in my opinion. A lot more classical adventure puzzles would had been appreciated. A lot of humor makes the game very relaxing.

I already miss the beautiful Sunny and Morgane, Juan the town mayor and even Miss Brown who was a secret admirer in the game. The end of the game leaves room for a sequel. If the developer does one, it will be interesting to see how a sequel begins. A big thumbs up for a game well done. The game held my interest the whole time I was playing it.

Official Websites:

So Blonde

DTP Entertainment

Daniel (aka danyboy)

Thanks Draclvr, Ghostlady, LadyK, Angelfire and all of those who helped me with this review.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: So Blonde review

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 pm

NOW I see what you mean by the graphics! Nice review, danyboy. This one sounds like a lot of fun.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:23 pm

It sounds like this one is mostly fun, DB! Great job!
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Angelfire » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:11 am

Wonderful job, this one should be really good.
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!
Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Sophie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Great review, many thanks DB. :thumleft:
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator

Postby danyboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks all!

CU

danyboy :)
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Melia » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Sounds like a fun game. Now I want to get it!
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

Return to “Review or Rate Games”