Ceville Review

Read reviews or write your own, rate a game.
danyboy
Diabolically Devilish Moderator
Zodiac: Aquarius

Ceville Review

Postby danyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:28 am

The Story:

The mean, cruel and cold-blooded tyrant Ceville ruthlessly rules the beautiful kingdom of Faeryanis. Or rather, he used to rule the beautiful kingdom of Faeryanis, until the brave people revolted against his regime and drove him out of the palace.

The kindhearted queen Gwendolyn stepped up to reign over the land with a council of noble and wise advisers. It seems that this story could end just like any other fairy tale: "And they lived happily ever after..." But no, that's not quite right. Because another evil rises within the land. The treacherous Basilus - counselor of Gwendolyn and of Ceville before her - plans to take the crown and torture the realm with the help of murderous beasts he has summoned from the planes of eternal darkness.

All seems lost! But hope resides with the one most unlikely person imaginable to save the kingdom and restore peace to the realm: Ceville, the realm's former despotic ruler...

The game has three playable main characters: Ceville, the ancient ruler of Faeryanis, the spare-time tyrant, Ambrosius, a noble and somewhat self-important knight and Lilly, the gentle and kind little girl.

This game will give you an impression of what might happen if you mixed up the settings and humor of Shrek, Discworld and the Monkey Island series.

Introduction:

First of all, let me present you with the main character of this evil fairytale. The evil Ceville is short in stature and rules his kingdom with an iron fist. Everything must be done Ceville’s way. Those who don’t will pay the price of insubordination. His only purpose in life is to make people around him suffer. I think perhaps Ceville wasn’t loved by his parents as a child or maybe he was teased a lot as a teenager. In any case, since he has nothing good to offer the world, he decided to be the king of evil thinking that by doing so he would at least be remembered. Could his being short make him think this is the only way he can be remembered? Ceville isn’t really evil. He is only a brat who never had a good role model to learn from. He is like he is because he doesn’t know any different. Most of the time, he acts like a kid. Perhaps a good smack on the head might help to put his ideas back in the right place.

As game players, we almost always play good characters and it’s fun to be able to be an evil brat for a change. Ceville isn’t our regular fairytale even if there is some similarity with the ones we heard as kids: a fairy, a king, a castle, a knight and some people who need to be saved. The game includes a lot of those fairytale stereotypes, but also has some brand new elements that make the game more interesting. In some ways the game is a bit like The Grinch Who Stole Christmas because we can see that there is really a heart hidden in the monster.

Graphics and Gameplay:

Ceville is a traditional third-person point and click adventure using both left click and right click. The inventory is always available at the bottom of the screen and it is very quick and easy to pick up and use different objects. There is a lot of walking in the game, but you will be glad to know that at some point in the game you will gain access to a map that will allow you to go from one place to another more quickly. You can use the space bar if you want to know where the hot spots and exits are. To access the main menu, you just have to press ESC. You can make quick saves without having to go into the main menu by pressing F5. For those who enjoy collecting screenshots, every time you press PRINT SCREEN, images are saved in a screen sub-folder in the saved games folder.

You will be able to play parts of the game as Ceville, Lilly and Ambrosius. You only have to click on their photos located above the inventory bar to switch from one to another. Some things won’t be triggered if you don’t have the right character selected.

The gameplay can be seen from different camera angles. The only problem with this feature is that some times you might miss something interesting if you are not in the right place to see it. For example, you are exiting a building and you wait on the porch after exiting. On the porch, you see there is something interesting to investigate on the left side of the stairs. Unfortunately, you can’t click on what you want to see and go there right away. You must go down the stairs first and when you are at the bottom of the stairs, you can no longer see what you wanted to investigate. You know where the item is, but even if you click on where the item is supposed to be, you will need to keep trying from different angles to finally get to where you want to be. There were also several minor incidents when even if I knew where an object was, I had to scroll that screen area with the cursor before finally being able to pick it up. While you are waiting for the game to load, you will get a few tricks to help you in your gameplay.

There are several beautiful locations to explore. They are very colorful and bright and the fairytale atmosphere is very enjoyable. Like in old cartoons, some objects are bigger than real life - a sword almost bigger than the character using it for example. It was fun to have three characters to play with, but it was difficult sometimes to know what each one needed to do to advance in the game. Sometimes team effort is needed to complete a task. I can’t say there is a lot of animation in each scene, but when there is some, it is worth waiting for. A couple of cut scenes, placed at the right spots make the game more complete.

The outcome of the story is very predictable. There are not a lot of surprises and the story gets lost at some points. Parts of the story that needed to be elaborated on weren’t and some parts were elaborated on that you would rather hadn’t been.

Puzzles:

Most of the puzzles are inventory based. Finding the objects that need to be combined together is a bigger task than the combinations themselves. When you have the right objects in the inventory, it is very easy to know which ones can be combined and what the purpose of the new object will be. There are also some timed sequence puzzles, but they are not contests of speed or dexterity. The time given is only there to stress you a bit when you need to think. There were also puzzles where you needed to arrange some events in a certain order to get the appropriate result. It wasn’t difficult, but a bit of thinking is needed. Don’t hesitate to think through the puzzles and try different things. The only thing that will happen if you fail is you will need to start all over again.

Interesting facts about the game:

- Quick save game feature, by just pressing F5
- Amazing cartoonish images and characters
- By pressing the space bar, you can see all the hotspots and possible exits
- The screenshots are automatically saved in their own folder

Dialogue and sound:

There is a lot of dialogue during the game. Sometimes several choices are available and you can decide to answer as Lilly or Ceville. But none of the choices will stop you from moving forward. The voices selected by the developer were very effective for each character. The music is quite relaxing and changes depending on the situation you are in. The sound effects aren’t outstanding, but they are adequate.

Bugs and/or Patches:

Initially, the game would not install on my computer. A message popped up that I didn't have the minimum requirements for XP to install the game. However, I have Vista on my machine. After some searching by Robert and Draclvr, I found that I needed to install the .NET Framework 3.5. The game is supposed to install it if needed, but I ended up having to download it from the Microsoft website and install myself. After that, the game installed with no problems. The game also froze a couple of times, sometimes when trying to save. After it happened to me twice, I used the quick save key (F5).

There is an official patch for the game which address video playback on some setups.

Computer Specifications:

System Requirements:

Minimal:

Processor: minimum 1.6 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Disc space 2 GB
Video Card 128 MB
DirectX® 9

My computer specifications:

RAM: 3072 MB
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo 3.00 Go
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Sound: Onboard Sound Controller
Disk space: 1st 221Go and 2nd 266 Go
DirectX 10.0c

Closing Statement:

Ceville is an easy game with no mind-bending puzzles. The outcome is predictable most of the time and there are not a lot of surprises. Lilly was a fun character to play, and Ceville in his evilness was also fun to play.

Great efforts were made by the developer to make Ceville look like an old fashioned game. The graphics and characters were very beautiful. There was a lot of humor used during the game. Sometimes it was predictable and other times I had a good laugh.

So you have a battle between evil and evil, a journey into the magical world of fairies and an ugly dictator whom we hope will become a better person as the story unfolds. You will find that choosing a savior from between two evil people isn’t as easy as it sounds, but in the end, isn’t it better to choose an evil we know instead of one we don’t?

Official Websites:

Ceville

Kalypso Media

Daniel (aka danyboy)

Thanks Draclvr, Ghostlady, LadyK, Angelfire and all of those who helped me with this review.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to break free from your lies
You're so self satisfied,
I don't need you
shany
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Ceville Review

Postby shany » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:25 am

Thanks for the review, DB.

I liked the game, but I think it could've been better. The game was best when it focused on the relation between its three main characters.
I thought the graphics were lovely but overused the Bloom effect (an effect that adds 'light fringes' to objects) this made everything look fuzzy when in close-up.

I also had what can be called the best bug in an adventure game. There's a point where you need to get the actress to dance. However I was able to skip this part and do the next puzzle without her dancing.

My main problem with the game was with its ending. Where was it? There are some hints in the last cutscene, but that's not a proper ending!
I constantly say this - just because it's a comedy, doesn't mean the story can't make sense.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:15 am

shany wrote:My main problem with the game was with its ending. Where was it? There are some hints in the last cutscene, but that's not a proper ending!
I constantly say this - just because it's a comedy, doesn't mean the story can't make sense.

Thanks Shany! I thought the ending was o.k. not one of the greatest one but it bring a conclusion on what Ceville became after his encounter with Lilly and the different things that hapenned to him in the game, I wont say anything about it because I don't want to spoiled anything but the final part of the game before the ending cutscene brang a conclusion to the fight between the two evil protagonists and was an interesting conclusion.

Did you had the patch installed? I didn't had any problem with that part of the game.

CU

danyboy :)
I don't need you
Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Sophie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Once again thank you for a great review DB and Team. :)

P.S. Now I understand where your new avatar came from. :lol:
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm

You're welcome. I already said a while ago that I'm always using an avatar taken from a game I'm actually playing, so next time you see me with a new avatar you might have an idea of the game I'm playing. Thanks Sophie!

CU

I don't need you
shany
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby shany » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I did see the ending, but as an ending, it sucked. Sure it was a conclusion to the problem at hand, but what came after was barely resolved (and yes, I did see the scene after the credits).

The bit near the end, when they overcome the bad guy, was very, very good. This is why the lack of ending was disappointing.
Ang
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Ang » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks for the great review DB. I only read the review and nothing else on this thread yet because I just installed this game today. I haven't had a chance to play. I will read the rest when I have completed the game. :)
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks Ang!

CU

I don't need you
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:03 am

I enjoyed this game, it was very welcome after thinking no more fun Adventures were being produced, but I enjoyed it in spite of the game in several ways. Didn't think "Ceville" was any less predictable than other games out there, but that's subjective.

The game felt it needed a bit more polish, more finishing. You've covered a lot of it DB. There are one or two dead ends. There is one timed sequence which turned into frenzied clicking for me to complete. Characters walk through each other.
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:11 am

Kickaha wrote:The game felt it needed a bit more polish, more finishing. You've covered a lot of it DB. There are one or two dead ends. There is one timed sequence which turned into frenzied clicking for me to complete. Characters walk through each other.

Good point, this hapenned to me a couple of times and I forgot to write about it. Didn't had any problem with the time sequences, the one with an animal was a little more difficult but this isn't because I found them o.k. that it will be o.k. for everyone.

CU

I don't need you
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the review DB. You covered the game pretty well.

Even from such a detailed review I find it hard to tell if I'm going to like a game!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:47 am

Good review, as always, DB.

I downloaded the demo to this game, and found I had to simply tweak my graphics card settings a bit to get clear graphics.

I really enjoyed the demo. The characters are so funny. I love Ceville's walk! And the voice acting is superb!

I will be purchasing this game in the future!

JK
Dragon
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Dragon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 am

Thank you Daniel for a well detailed review of the game. Not sure that I would play it though. But still sounds like a pretty good game.
Dragon
danyboy

Postby danyboy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks all! Always a pleasure to write for you!

CU

I don't need you

Return to “Review or Rate Games”