Skyborn

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Skyborn

Postby Bacardi Jim » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Skyborn is a recent release from Dancing Dragon games, currently available on BigFish. It utilizes the tried-and-true RPGMaker engine, but offers a lot of new twists on the old standby. While it isn't an Aveyond game, Skyborn ranks just below the all-time greatest RPGMaker series in writing and fun, and even surpasses Aveyond in creativity and "sparkle."

Your protagonist is Claret Spencer, a blacksmith/mechanic, a human living in a world which has been taken over by the Skyborn, a race of arrogant winged humanoids who have enslaved the Earthbound planet-dwellers. During the introductory backstory, headstrong, independent Claret finds that both her shop and her bridehood have been sold to a human aristocrat who trades with the oppressive Skyborn. Claret embarks on a mission to "fight the power," protect the human/Skyborn half-breeds, rescue her brother from prison and fulfill the destiny laid upon her by her unknown parents.

Yes, it's a mishmash of familiar themes, but the combination came out fresh this time around. This is partly due to the writing. While the characterization isn't deep, the dialogue provides more than a few chuckles. It's often funny, current and hip, if anachronistic. But the real originality of the game lies in Claret's ability to forge and "augment" items. As a blacksmith, Claret can use minerals found on dungeon walls to craft weapons and armor. These items then can be improved by adding "augments" which can improve the bearer's strength, intelligence, HP or various other attributes. The end result was that at the end of the game, I found I had crafted better items than I could find by scavenging through every inch of a dungeon or spending 10,000 gold at a merchant. It's not a COMPLETELY original system--Anachronox employed jewels that could improve an item--but it works very well within the framework of this game and lends some real strategy to what is otherwise a fairly easy (but FUN) game.

If you find the game too easy or hard, there is a combat difficulty modifier. I played on "Normal" and only died a few times... and I shouldn't have died then. Even toward the end of the game, most of the battles are fairly easy. It comes down to tactics and what special abilities you have imbued in your weapons and armor.

I finished Skyborn in about 14 hours overall, having done all of the side-quests. That doesn't make it a great value if you were spending $20 for it. At $6.99 through BFG, I consider it a great bang for your buck! It's cute, much "prettier" than your usual RPGMaker game, funny and original.

Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Re: Skyborn

Postby Ghostlady » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks BJ.
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Skyborn

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 am

Sounds a great game for $6.99, BJ
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”