Ghostlady's Book Corner 2015

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Ghostlady's Book Corner 2015

Postby Ghostlady » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:53 am

January (1476)
    The Light Behind The Window (or The Lavender Garden) - Lucinda Riley (530)
    Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (415)
    The Beacon - Susan Hill (154)
    The Red Queen - Philippa Gregory (377)

I want to say that I was blown away by this story. Lucinda Riley does it again for me.

The setting was in France and Yorkshire and takes place in the present and in the past (during the Second World War). It is a story of war, of love and loss, of suffering and forgiveness.

Here is a blip from Goodreads:

An aristocratic French family, a legendary chateau, and buried secrets with the power to destroy two generations torn between duty and desire.

La Cote d'Azur, 1998: In the sun-dappled south of France, Emilie de la Martinires, the last of her gilded line, inherits her childhood home, a magnificent chateau and vineyard. With the property comes a mountain of debt and almost as many questions . . .

Paris, 1944: A bright, young British office clerk, Constance Carruthers, is sent undercover to Paris to be part of Churchill's Special Operations Executive during the climax of the Nazi occupation. Separated from her contacts in the Resistance, she soon stumbles into the heart of a prominent family who regularly entertain elite members of the German military even as they plot to liberate France. But in a city rife with collaborators and rebels, Constance's most difficult decision may be determining whom to trust with her heart.

As Emilie discovers what really happened to her family during the war and finds a connection to Constance much closer than she suspects, the chateau itself may provide the clues that unlock the mysteries of her past, present, and future. Here is a dazzling novel of intrigue and passion from one of the worlds most beloved storytellers.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Image Image

February (614)
    The Tale of Halcyon Crane - Wendy Webb (326)
    Darling Jim - Christian Moerk (288)

April (784)
    The Lady of the Rivers - Philippa Gregory (443)
    Sandrine's Case - Thomas H. Cook (341)

May (1734)
    Sea of Lost Love - Santa Montefiore (437)
    Heaven is for Real - Todd Burpo (188)
    blueeyedboy - Joanne Harris (527)
    The Shadow Wife - Dorothy Eden (286)
    The Violets of March - Sarah Jio (296)

June (370)
    The Sugar Pavilion - Rosalind Laker (370)
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...

Return to “Book Discussions”