Surviving the Evacuation

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Surviving the Evacuation

Postby Diat60 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:43 am

For those who like apocalyptic stories, I can highly recommend a series of books by Frank Tayell called "Surviving the Evacuation". Not only a good story but excellent writing. The series comprised seven books in all and I'm up to Book 3 with 4 waiting in the wings. Best thing I can do is give you the write up from Amazon:

No one is safe from the undead

The outbreak began in New York. Soon it had spread to the rest of the world. People were attacked, infected and they died. Then they came back. Nowhere is safe from the undead.

As anarchy and civil war took grip across the globe, Britain was quarantined. The press was nationalised. Martial law, curfews and rationing were implemented. It wasn’t enough. An evacuation was planned. The inland towns and cities of the UK would be evacuated to defensive enclaves being built around the coast, in the Scottish Highlands and in the Irish Republic.

Bill Wright broke his leg on the day of the outbreak. Unable to join the evacuation, he watched from his window as the streets filled with refugees, he watched as the streets emptied once more. He watched as they filled up again, this time with the undead.

He is trapped. He is alone. He is running out of food and water. He knows that to reach safety he will have to venture out into the wasteland that once was England. On that journey he will ultimately discover the horrific truth about the outbreak, a decades old conspiracy and his unwitting part in it.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Surviving the Evacuation

Postby draclvr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:20 am

I'm normally not into the zombie stuff, but I've read several of them this summer! This definitely sounds like one I will get... One of the better series I read was "Slow Burn" by Bobby Adair. It's about the zombie apocalypse, but includes people who were infected, but survived so they are not zombies, but not quite human either. I think there were 6 or 7 books in the series.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:47 am

Bobby Adair also wrote Ebola K about a deliberate infection of a small African village by a "terrorist" and how it goes from there. There's a couple of books so far in this series and I liked it even better than the Slow Burn series.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm also heading for Patient Zero which was highly recommended by a friend.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Lucien21 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:41 pm

Cool. Another one for the list.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Found out the one he recommended is actually "Affliction Z: Patient Zero." There is another book out there titled just Patient Zero, but that's not the one.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:15 pm

I just looked up Affliction Z: Patient Zero and found this book cover for Book 2! Ye Gads!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Lucien21 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Apocalyspe, zombies etc but she still had time to model the bikini vest and tight pants. That's not zombies chasing her it's just a normal night at a LAs Vegas club :)
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Oh, for crying out loud. Tell me NO! I hate sexualized images like this! Although I believe, Lucien does have a point!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Kindle and Kobo have book 1 for free. I've downloaded it and will let you know my impressions. Hopefully that cover is just a come-on, although I can't imagine who it would appeal to. Heh, heh, heh.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:20 pm

Who could that be!!!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:54 pm

Just tried first 15 pages - verdict "Not for Me" not enough testosterone. I love apocalypse stories, but don't want non-stop action. To me it's more about surviving in the ruins of civilization. I'd be glad for any recommendations!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm

One of the most thoughtful ones I read recently was Wolf and Iron by Gordon R. Dickson. One of the reasons I liked it so much is because the wolf is depicted as a real wolf based on actual observed wolf behavior, not on our assumptions that they are just slightly different from dogs. I got it as a freebie from Book Bub.

After the collapse of civilization, when the social fabric of America has come apart in bloody rags, when every man's hand is raised against another, and only the strong survive. "Jeebee" Walther was a scientist, a student of human behavior, who saw the Collapse of the world economy coming, but could do nothing to stop it. Now he must make his way across a violent and lawless America, in search of a refuge where he can keep the spark of knowledge alive in the coming Dark Age. He could never make it on his own, but he has found a companion who can teach him how to survive on instinct and will. Jeebee has been adopted by a great Gray Wolf.

Another series I really liked and hope the next one comes out soon is the Sedulity Saga.

David Forsyth brings the fear, suspense and thrilling action of "end of the world as we know it" fiction into focus aboard a cruise ship en route to Australia when an asteroid strikes the Central Pacific Ocean. Whatever image that description evokes is nothing compared the epic forces of nature, human drama, and pain of loss you will encounter in this book. Not for the faint of heart. The author takes no responsibility for decreased bookings on cruise ships. Read at your own risk. The scariest part is that this story is based on true possibilities. Are you game?

I loved the Breakers series too... This one throws aliens into the "end of the world as we know it" mix.

In New York, Walt Lawson is about to lose his girlfriend Vanessa. In Los Angeles, Raymond and Mia James are about to lose their house. Within days, none of it will matter.

When Vanessa dies of the flu, Walt is devastated. But she isn't the last. The virus quickly kills billions, reducing New York to an open grave and LA to a chaotic wilderness of violence and fires. As Raymond and Mia hole up in an abandoned mansion, where they learn to function without electricity, running water, or neighbors, Walt begins an existential walk to LA, where Vanessa had planned to move when she left him. He expects to die along the way.

Months later, a massive vessel appears above Santa Monica Bay. Walt is attacked by a crablike monstrosity in a mountain stream. The virus that ended humanity wasn't created by humans. It was inflicted from outside. The colonists who sent it are ready to finish the job--and Earth's survivors may be too few and too weak to resist.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:13 pm

They all sound good, Draclvr, and I haven't read any of them. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the recommendations. My personal favorites are Robert R. McCammon's Swan Song, World War Z by Max Brooks, and Justin Cronin's The Passage (the third and final installment finally comes out next May). Have you tried any of these?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:01 pm

No, but they are now on my list! I enjoy and read a lot of Robert R. McCammon, but haven't read anything by the other authors.

Return to “Book Discussions”