Shannara Chronicles

Discuss your viewing preferences here!
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Shannara Chronicles

Postby Lucien21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:33 am

Terry Brooks has written 25 ish novels in the Shannara series, but has struggled to break out of the mold. His first novel is usually written of as a LOTR clone and his latest books over the last few years have been a bit too similar to each other and I have dropped off reading his stuff.

His novels are not as grim and realistic as Game of Thrones and tend to be a lighter read than most current Fantasy tropes.

So after all these years he has finally gotten a TV show based on his novels. "The Shannara Chronicles" skips the first novel and goes straight to book two. The Elfstones of Shannara was released in 1983 (when I was a new teenager :shock: ) and saw Allanon the Druid wake up and seek out the son of the book one hero in a quest to save a dying tree that is holding back the demons held in the Forbidden.

The first couple of episodes premiered on MTV the other night. Did anyone watch it?

I thought that the show was ok so far. A decent adaption of the book it does follow the basic storyline so far, with exception of a stupid Hunger Games type race throught the forest at the start..wtf :scratch:. Of course most of the actors are young and georgous, it is an MTV show, it's fantasy-lite so won't stand up to Game of Thrones and is based on a old novel. The show is maybe 10 years too late, but i'll keep watching.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2

Return to “Movies & Television”