Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Programs

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Prog

Postby middletoe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:47 pm

My retail box version of Office Home & Student had a maximum of 3 activations.
I would not be surprised if the person Rosaboobie bought from has no more activations.

A product key is not the same as an activation code.
My key was good for three activations.

Sometimes people buy a copy of Office, use one activation, and sell their unused activations. The buyer can use one of the activations, but there may be no more left after that.

If the activation information wasn't retained on Rosaboobie's hard drive, that would use up another activation.

This may turn out to be an expensive lesson in not installing unfamiliar "free" software.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:24 pm

The licensing terms say it can be on on 3 computers at any one time. If you uninstall on one and reinstall on another, you may have to reactivate by phone, but I've never had to.

My retail box of Office Home and Student also had a maximum of 3 activations - also meaning it can be on 3 computers at any one time. They are supposed to used in the same household and I put one activation on my Windows 7 drive and one activation one my Windows 8 hard drive. I let a friend have the third one. However, I have reinstalled the activation I used for my Windows 8 hard drive twice - on that same drive once and then I cloned the drive to install Windows 8 onto a 1 TB WD Velociraptor drive - and it has taken the code each time. I wondered if that activation wasn't retained in the registry and that's why it was accepted each time. I am running Windows 10 now and didn't have to reinstall.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:49 am

The seller stipulated in the item description that this licence was for ONE PC only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:07 am

Wow, I would be VERY wary of anyone selling Office 2010 Pro for what is the equivalent of $46 US dollars. Very wary. If you ever hear back from this individual, I would be surprised.

As long as this license is only on one computer at a time, you should be able to reactivate if the license is legitimate. What happens when you try to reactivate? Do you get an error message?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:05 am

draclvr wrote:My retail box of Office Home and Student also had a maximum of 3 activations - also meaning it can be on 3 computers at any one time. They are supposed to used in the same household and I put one activation on my Windows 7 drive and one activation one my Windows 8 hard drive. I let a friend have the third one. However, I have reinstalled the activation I used for my Windows 8 hard drive twice - on that same drive once and then I cloned the drive to install Windows 8 onto a 1 TB WD Velociraptor drive - and it has taken the code each time. I wondered if that activation wasn't retained in the registry and that's why it was accepted each time.

It may be in the Windows registry. Or sometimes products that use activation store information in the MBR (Master Boot Record) or VBS/VBR (Volume Boot Sector/Volume Boot Record) instead of, or in addition to adding to the Windows registry. I don't know if Office stores the information anywhere other than the registry, but Rosaboobie's registry may have been damaged by the rogue.
I am running Windows 10 now and didn't have to reinstall.

I'm guessing that was an upgrade and not a clean install after reformatting.
Unless you had activations left, a clean install of Windows (or an install on a brand new hard drive) would require re-activation of Office.

The licensing terms say it can be on on 3 computers at any one time. If you uninstall on one and reinstall on another, you may have to reactivate by phone, but I've never had to.

You never had that rogue program on your PC though.
Whether Rosaboobie can reactivate Office over the phone is questionable, since she seems to have bought a single activation on something that may have been part of a package, and not intended to be sold as a separate activation.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:42 am

Indeed the Windows 10 was an upgrade, so obviously I didn't have to reactivate.

Something is wrong with this picture with Rosaboobie's issues. There is no reason she should not be able to reactivate this license after uninstalling and reinstalling on the same computer. I will be hoping to hear what - if any - messages she gets when trying to reactivate the license. The fact that she got it so incredibly cheap when it should have cost at least $150 - $200 USD makes me very suspicious.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:26 pm

It is telling me the product key is not valid. Having no idea what the price of this software should be, I had no idea I was getting it so cheap. I simply Googled the item on Google Shopping!

I paid for it via PayPal so I have set up a complaint with them, and also with Bonanza, the site where this item was found.

Edit: I just googled and found this - what do you think?

http://helpdeskgeek.com/office-tips/fix ... r-message/
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:56 pm

It's worth a try - I also found this fix when I was trying to figure this out. Also, keep the link handy I posted above where you can ask the question on the Office 2010 forums at Microsoft.

Good that you filed a complaint.
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi Rosaboobie,
Any new development on your Word 2010?. Just curious you now have Win 10,
did you Upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8? and if Yes, did you already have your
Word 2010 installed prior to the Upgrade? The reason I ask is that if you did have
it already installed and if suggested that the License might be a bogus one, then
that is why it worked OK when you went to Win10, but when you Uninstalled it and
tried to reinstall it, that is where you might have run into problems, from what I have
read, Win10 is much more powerful at detecting bogus software. Again, not saying
that your copy is probably illegal, but just something to keep in mind.
To Draclvr: as for Rosa getting it for so cheap, it could be possible since the seller might have bought a 3 License Word 2010 and using only one of them and selling off
the other 2 to recoup the cost, and that is why he told Rosa that it is only good for 1PC, still a little on the side of shady if you ask me and like you mentioned before, it is Ok to give it or share the cost with your relatives or close friends, but to sell it online...
Anyway, all the above is just something that I wanted to throw out there to see what you guys-gals think.
Take care
Ray (aka Starcom in Gameboomers)
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility, RaytheBear... However, I've installed my 3-license Office home and Student multiple times as I've changed computers and never had an issue. Each license is for one computer at a time, so technically if you uninstall and then reinstall on another computer or even the same computer, it should reactivate. But who knows... I find it interesting that Rosaboobie has never heard back from the seller. I was suspicious at first, but even more so now.

Dang, it's nice to have more input down here!!
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm

I was suspicious at first, but even more so now.

Well you can add me to your list of being suspicious...

And I will try to be here more often, I only hope that I will be able to help solve
problems from time to time, been on a small dry spell in other Forums X 5. So it
is why I stayed away from giving too much input, mostly reading, but with the kind words from here, I am recharged and ready to give it another go.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:15 am

Yes, please pop in more often, Ray - we really do miss you :cool:

Well, in my normal insomnia wakefulness in the night, I suddenly realised that I had still not heard back from Bonanza since 3rd February, so I have emailed them this morning in very strong terms!

Ray, I did have Windows 8.1 and I used the free upgrade for Windows 10. Like you say, previous to that, I hold my hands up and yes, I did have an "iffy" copy of Office which, as you rightly say, Windows 10 did not recognise. That is when I went online to buy what I thought was a "kosher" licence For Office 2010. The programme is still allowing me to use it, even though the time for activation has expired, and every time I use it, it is asking me to register/activate which I cant do. Obviously I wont get any updates whilst in this situation, but at least I can at least use it for the time being, until this mess is sorted out.

With no communication at all now from the vendor, I have today escalated this to a claim with Paypal. - Watch this space lol :roll:
Boobie
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:43 am

Hi again,
I don't know if you visited the 2 MS Links below, hopefully it can help and maybe
draclvr or someone else can take a read and see if this can help or not:

Note: Make sure you have a cup of java, it is a bit of a long read:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927921

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2390460
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:33 am

I have visited both those links, Ray, but one of them was telling me to click on File/Tools/Option - and in my version Tools is greyed out, and in the other link it mentioned 365 something or other, and when I went to that link it was for a Student or Business version.

I have now submitted a Microsoft counterfeit report submission also this morning.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 am

Awesome - cover all the bases!

I just use the Home and Student version as I don't need the Access database or Publisher etc. All I need are Word, Power Point and Excel.

Return to “Technical Help”