What Are You Currently Reading and Do You Like It?

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

What Are You Currently Reading and Do You Like It?

Postby Ghostlady » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:14 am

I am currently reading Deliver Us: Three Decades of Murder and Redemption in the Infamous I-45/Texas Killing

http://www.thebigthrill.org/2015/02/deliver-us-three-decades-of-murder-and-redemption-in-the-infamous-i-45texas-killing-fields-by-kathryn-casey/

And yes, it is fascinating, especially because it was in my backyard. Most of the girls that disappeared were between the ages of 12 - 14. They still don't really know who was the killer or if there was more than one.
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: What Are You Currently Reading and Do You Like It?

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm reading the 8 book woods cop mystery series by Joseph Heywood. Although the mysteries themselves are very good, it's fun for me to read about my field of study - Wildlife Biology - and all the nonsense that comes with working for state government! Grady Service is a Conservation Officer in the U.P. I'm finding out a LOT I didn't know about the Michigan Upper Peninsula.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Currently re-reading Stuart MacBride's series of crime novels set in Aberdeen, Scotland. The hero is Logan MacRae, a detective sergeant, beset by infuriating bosses but still managing to solve cases. The books are gritty, funny and, sometimes horrifying, with lots of local color.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Ghostlady wrote:And yes, it is fascinating, especially because it was in my backyard. Most of the girls that disappeared were between the ages of 12 - 14. They still don't really know who was the killer or if there was more than one.

That's very chilling, GL, to think the murderer is still out there.

I just finished The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean. An old woman remembers the time when she helped save the paintings and other precious art in the Hermitage during WW II before the Germans arrived. It's the story of how she survived then, and how the mental siege of Altzheimers erases the boundaries between the past and present. It is lyrically written, and I recommend it highly.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:38 am

I am currently reading Buried (A Bone secrets novel) by Kendra Elliot and I am loving it.

2014 Daphne du Maurier Award Winner
International Thriller Writers 2014 Thriller Award nominee—Best Paperback Original Novel

Eighteen years ago, Chris Jacobs walked out of the forest, the lone survivor of a school bus load of children who’d vanished two years before. His memory was gone, his body beaten and emaciated.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:44 pm

I tried reading the first volume of a Japanese manga entitled "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon" (the title was distinctive). On the plus side it is very RPG inspired, gives a real sense the writer has played RPGs. On the negative side (and why I won't try more volumes) it is more than rather sexist.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:04 pm

The title alone is pretty intriguing, Kickaha. Just purchased that Buried novel, Rosaboobie. Done with my woods cop series and need something new shortly. Am doing a quick read of the "Room" novel that the movie out right now is based on. Great movie and I see why Brie Larsen got the Best Actress Academy Award. Although I think the little boy should have also won Best Supporting Actor for his role too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:42 pm

I read Room with my book group a few years ago, and images from it are still in my memory. It made me think of the news story about the woman who was kept by a man in a special locked section of his basement for years, and his wife supposedly never knew about it.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:49 pm

Was that the one in Austria? This sicko Fritzl imprisoned his daughter at age 18 and kept her as his sex slave for 24 years. His wife never knew about it.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:48 pm

Yes, that's the one. I didn't realize she was his daughter.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 am

Yes... seven children, one of whom died. That was what resulted in the more severe sentence. The old bast**d took 3 of the babies and he and his wife raised them.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 am

Because of the prolonged power cut yesterday, I read a great deal more of "Buried" - I am loving it and I have others on my Kindle in the same series to read. This is my kind of book for sure.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:14 pm

I'm working my way through Chris Bohjalian's books. He takes events, some current, some historical, and weaves a story around them. I just finished The Sand Castle girls and ended up googleing the Armenian genocide of 1915 to read more about it. That was every bit as horrible as the Holocaust. Some Historians say this is where Hitler got his idea to rid the world of Jews.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:39 pm

I read Bohjalian's Midwives and Double Bind, Stella. Both of them have a twist to them, and the latter's ending really surprised me.

I just finished Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings, which is a novel based on the life of abolitionist and feminist Sarah Grimke. It's very well written.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:57 am

I've just finished Frances Hardinge's The Lie Tree and enjoyed it a lot - it's nominally a 'young adult' book, but very well written and definitely suitable for grown-ups too! Frances was a friend of mine at university, so I've read all her books, but this one won the Costa best book of 2015 so it's not just biased me thinking it's great :)
It's a fantasy-ish story (or rather a mystery story with light fantastical elements, probably) set in the late 19th century, about a girl named Faith who moves with her family to a remote island. A mysterious death sparks a trail of discovery and revenge, revealing some uncomfortable truths about her family and the pernicious power of lies. The characters are well-drawn and human and Frances has clearly put in plenty of social and scientific research on the period. I don't want to say too much because you should probably read it yourself and I don't want to spoil anything!

Return to “Book Discussions”