Mystery of the Druids

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Mystery of the Druids

Postby mbday630 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 am

Drac, I do need your help. I installed the game and I do have the icon on my desktop but when I click on it, it won't start. I looked at gameboomers and Tally Ho said to make a disk 1 and disk 2 and put all the files from each disk in the folders, so I did that. but, it still won't start. I went to the launcher that was in the game folder and went to compatibility and clicked on windows XP and it still didn't work so then I went to that folder again and also clicked on run as administrator and it still won't start. Any other ideas? Please help!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Mystery of the Druids

Postby Diat60 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:34 pm

If all else fails, you can buy it at Steam for around $4.50 (not sure of the conversions, they give me prices in Canadian dollars) and you could be pretty sure it would run.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:12 pm

that sounds much easier Diat. Thanks. Now I wish I wouldn't have bought all these games in boxes. Too much work and thinking for this old lady.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Did you try compatibility mode?
The DVD case says Windows 95/98/2000/ME so try those compatibilities.
Also make sure the game is set to run in software mode because the "hardware" mode was buggy.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:04 am

Yes... what middletoe said. Try compatibility mode. I can't remember what operating system you have, but try right clicking on the icon and selecting Troubleshoot Compatibility. If that doesn't work, try right clicking and selecting Properties. Sometimes the compatibility mode is there.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:25 am

I did do the compatibility mode. I tried it for windows 95, windows 98 2nd edition and the 3rd edition (whatever it is called) windows XP and nothing worked. so, I bought it from Steam. That is the easiest for me. however, with this steam game, if I minimize it, it won't play again. I have to keep it on the screen all the time or I get an error message. so, I have to plan on that when I start the game, I have to stay on it and save often.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:37 am

Ah, I didn't know this was a download from Steam. If that's the case, then you need to get with Steam support for this game. They are painfully slow, but they do respond. The forums for the game might be a good option too - often other players may have run into the same thing and will respond quickly.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:08 pm

I bought the game too, MBDay. I've also found I can't minimize it, which is a nuisance. Do you find the movement jerky? I'm playing on Windows 8.1. Not overwhelmed so far, I might not bother playing further. Maybe good old games should just stay a memory.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I still would check in at the Steam forums to see if anyone has figured out how to solve the problem

http://steamcommunity.com/app/343000
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:15 pm

mbday630 wrote:with this steam game, if I minimize it, it won't play again. I have to keep it on the screen all the time or I get an error message. so, I have to plan on that when I start the game, I have to stay on it and save often.
Diat60 wrote: I've also found I can't minimize it, which is a nuisance.

I'm pretty sure the original CD version wasn't "alt-tab friendly" on Windows 98 either.

Diat60 wrote:Do you find the movement jerky? I'm playing on Windows 8.1.

Maybe assigning the game's exe to use a single processor core would help with the jerkiness.
Or maybe tell your antivirus not to scan the game while it's running.

Diat60 wrote:Maybe good old games should just stay a memory.

Well this one anyway, not that I consider it to be one of the "good' old games.
It had its moments, but had a lot of gameplay issues too.
I think it was House of Tales' first adventure game.

Mystery of the Druids would be fairly low on my list of recommended games in 2016.
I might have recommended it back in 2001 because there were so few 3rd person
point-and-click adventure games available for Windows back then.

The biggest issue for me was the horrible conversation "puzzles" where you had to work your way through
very long conversation trees in order to get necessary conversation choices to re-appear.
The game didn't really pick up for me until I finally arrived in Twelve Bridges, more than halfway into the game.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:58 am

I enjoyed it at the time.... Can't remember what I liked about it though!

Return to “Technical Help”