.oracle_ire_usage

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

.oracle_ire_usage

Postby mbday630 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:36 am

I noticed this today in "my computer' and when I clicked on it, there are four times that say timestamp file. They are all from different days. What is this?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: .oracle_ire_usage

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 am

Oracle is the company that makes Java. I've never seen that on my computer though. I can't find much on it anywhere.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Seem it tracks Java usage and is part of an update from Oracle. No idea what any of what I just wrote means.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Exactly where in "my computer" did you see this?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Personally we do not use Java, We = Myself, my wife, my daughter and a several other people whose computers I look after, it's been at least 3 years if not 4 years we do not have Java installed and we don't miss it. My good buddy called me about a month ago and said he couldn't play some puzzles offered from Canoe (a newspaper site) because he did not have Java installed, I simply instructed him to do a Google search for the games he wanted to play and assured him he would find other "Safe sites" where he could play these games, and sure enough he found his games and able to play it without Java. Most sites are getting away from Java and Flash because of the Security risk and are pushing toward HTML5 and other formats, I believe that Firefox and Chrome no longer support Java or Flash or one has to "Give Permission to use it"

If you wish to continue to use Java, it would be best to go the "Official Java site" download the latest version, but before installing it, Remove your present Java version even if it the latest version, and while you are in the ADD/Remove section, check to see if you have any other Java versions installed, you Should Only have one Java version installed.

Good luck
Ray
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:12 pm

I loathe Java.. Unfortunately, many, many websites still use it. Can't tell you how many time I've had a news feed freeze up because of a Java script running in some damned advertisement.. I try to kill them all as quickly as I can, but sometimes I just miss one. I wish it would disappear tonight!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:39 pm

when I go to "my games" folder, then on the left hand side there is a bunch of things that say "desktop, libraries, documents, homegroup, computer, etc" and under computer it is the first thing that I see. I get the Java thing once in a while to upgrade - so, this is where it is coming from? I do know that when I was trying to print out my mother's crossword puzzles sometimes they said that I had to upgrade Java or something. also, I remember that I couldn't play Edna and Harvey until I upgraded my Java. so, I always thought that Java was important. ??
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:49 pm

It's only important to things that still use it. Java is actually awful stuff and very prone to security vulnerabilities. Websites are slowly moving to coding with Html5, but not nearly fast enough for me.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:02 pm

There's a thread about the .oracle_ire_usage thing in the Oracle forum.
https://community.oracle.com/thread/3783686?start=0
You should be able to uninstall Java (if you're not using it for a game or something), and hopefully that will get rid of the .oracle_ire_usage thing.

Java and Javascript are two different things. Some games will use Java, though most don't.
You usually don't need Java running in your web browser (unless you are playing an online game that needs it).

But many websites use Javascript (not Java). I don't like Javascript in the web browser either because it can be used to fetch and install malware automatically, sometimes without your even clicking on anything. One of the most common ways of infecting people's computers is through infected javascript ads. Even if a website itself isn't infected, the ad network it uses may contain infected ads. But if you install the Firefox add-on called NoScript, which blocks most javascript, you'll quickly see how many websites don't function properly without Javascript.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm

Thank you, middletoe for the much better explanation. That's the problem I have now and then - the stupid infected ads. I tried NoScript and got exactly the result you say. Gads, I wish it would go away.

Return to “Technical Help”